We were on Radiance of the Seas when Azipod malfunctioned.

Shari

We were on the Radiance when her Azipod malfunctioned.  There was a loud bang and the whole ship shuddered.  We were in our aft cabin on deck 8 at the time. We immediately turned to the TV channel that showed the the speed and watched as the ship went from 22.4 knots to 14 knots in a matter of minutes.  We also looked at the wake and saw that ther was only half of the wake compared to before.  This was at about 4pm.  We went up to the Diamond lounge and about 15 minutes later and noticed that the ship seemed to be stopped.  There were no announcements and everything went on as if nothing had happened.  A storm was coming in and the ship could not outrun it.  The ship started moving again at about 5:30.  It could only travel at about 15 knots for the rest of the way into Seward.  That night the ship rocked and rolled through the storm with closet doors and drawers banging.  It was rough enough to knock over a nightstand with the phone on it.  It wasn't until the next morning that the captain let the passengers know there was an issue and we would be a couple of hours late docking.  The captain and the crew did everything they could do in order to make the passengers enjoy their last night on board.  

Thank you for your first hand account.  Radiance is one of my favorite ships.  The one thing I'll never understand is why cruise lines aren't more forth coming when the ship has problems.  As a passenger I understand a ship is a compilation of many parts and operating systems that can fail or falter from time to time.  I would appreciate just being told openly and honestly in a timely fashion when there is a problem with the ship, arrival times or embarkation delays.  Why the secrecy, I'd rather hear from the Captain about problems than the guy with a drink package in the lounge.

Bill

I've stayed in a number of aft cabins on this class.  The banging drawers and falling nightstand are an unfortunate drawback to staying fully aft any time there is even a small uptick in the sea conditions.  Despite that I still book those aft cabins!   Sometimes when the sea conditions are up I proactively put the night stand on its face to keep the drawers from sliding out and waking me up in the middle of the night.  Same with the swinging hangers in the closet - on the floor so they don't make a racket.

Who is the Captain on Radiance right now?

On 9/11/2023 at 5:35 AM, twangster said:

I've stayed in a number of aft cabins on this class.  The banging drawers and falling nightstand are an unfortunate drawback to staying fully aft any time there is even a small uptick in the sea conditions.  Despite that I still book those aft cabins!   Sometimes when the sea conditions are up I proactively put the night stand on its face to keep the drawers from sliding out and waking me up in the middle of the night.  Same with the swinging hangers in the closet - on the floor so they don't make a racket.

Who is the Captain on Radiance right now?

Captain Rumen Yovchev from Bulgaria.