Ship choice

Ok, question for all. Once you've cruised on one of the big boys, is there any way one can ever be satisfied on one of the little boys ?? Example: A month ago we cruised on Navigator. 138,000 tons/3,100 guests. I'd love to go back to Bermuda, but RCCL only cruises Grandeur to Bermuda. 73,000 tons/under 2,000 guests. Is bigger better ? Is smaller simply less crowded, but just as beautiful ? Thoughts ?

We have cruised on every RC class of ship except the Vision class and I think they all have there own attraction.  We kept going bigger and kept loving it but took a 4 day on the Jewel a couple of years ago.  I too wondered if we would miss things we loved on the big ships, large solarium area, promenade, Central Park, Boardwalk, etc. when we sailed the Jewel.  While the Jewel did not have those items it has a charm all its own and we loved it so much we are heading back in January.  My daughter, who has been on every cruise we've ever taken,  just sailed the Vision last month and also liked that.

Smaller doesn't necessarily mean less crowded, we have been on the Allure twice and I think it feels less crowded than other ships.  There is so much public area and the crowds get distributed so well that you don't feel like you are sailing with 6000 other people.

Ok, question for all. Once you've cruised on one of the big boys, is there any way one can ever be satisfied on one of the little boys ?? Example: A month ago we cruised on Navigator. 138,000 tons/3,100 guests. I'd love to go back to Bermuda, but RCCL only cruises Grandeur to Bermuda. 73,000 tons/under 2,000 guests. Is bigger better ? Is smaller simply less crowded, but just as beautiful ? Thoughts ?

For me personally I can not go back to a smaller ship. I went on Vision in July and I hated it. For me it was very boring. I love Royal Caribbean and I hate admitting I didn't like it but I didn't. The shows were boring outdated shows, I felt the food was subpar to what I usually get, there is no dedicated pizza restaurant the only way to get it was from room service which tasted absolutly horrible, I felt the food in the dining room was not as good as on other ships even though its the same menu, my waitstaff was over worked and constantly brought out cold food or when it was time for dessert and I would order Icecream they would bring it to me already melted, the only good entertainent was the new arial acts in the centrum problem with that is there is not enough room for 2000 people to see it all at once and I found since it was the only good form of entertainment all 2000 people wanted to see it and it was way to crowded. I could go on but I will stop. For me I still love Royal but I will only go on Voyager class and above but I'm sure other people will have a different opinion.

We had a similar conversation in my family after sailing the Disney Fantasy and Carnival Breeze, which are both the biggest ships for their respective lines. With all of the added features, poolside movies, water parks, etc., we said we'd never cruise a smaller ship. However, we then ended up on the Celebrity Century, a much smaller, 20 year old ship because of the itinerary. Because the itinerary was so great, we really ended up not caring because we didn't have any sea days. We had a similar conversation regarding Europe as Allure will be there next summer. However, we opted to save Allure for a less boring itinerary so that we'd have more time to enjoy the ship.

We have cruised Vision Class (Twice), Radiance Class (Once with 2 bookings to do it again), Voyager (Once), Freedom (4 with 2 bookings) and Oasis.

With the Jewel of the Seas (Radiance class) we felt that although smaller it had enough activities and charm to be worth cruising again. Vision class had some charm but not enough to keep us occupied so I don't think we will do it again, I cant recall off the top of my head whether Grandeur is Vision or Radiance class.

Were not impressed with Allure (Oasis class) and have gone back to Freedom/Radiance as our preferred classes of ships.

Was interested in Quantum class but since I don't plan to cruise out of China, Jersey or UK that wont be an option for several years yet.

We've been on a number of size ships, from Oasis all the way down to the teeny-tiny Empress (no longer in the fleet; 48,500 tons IIRC).  They all have their pluses and minuses.  Empress could stop at ports no large ship could get to; Oasis was a destination all in itself.  Voyager class is my favorite (Adventure OTS specifically) but I think personal service is better on smaller ships if only because you are exposed to the same crew members so much more often.

Our last cruise was Oasis, our next on Jewel.  They are completely different experiences - and I'm happy about that!

The Bermuda sailing just a day and a half over and a day back IIRC - if you dig Bermuda just consider that the "destination" and the ship is the means to get you there.  

We sailed on Vision when it was based in Baltimore down to the Southern Caribbean.  Really, really enjoyed the ship and the cruise, but my wife was seasick when we were out in the Atlantic (it was in late November and rather stormy).  Because of that we'll likely not be going to Bermuda (bummer, as I'd love to go there!!!).

For us it is more about destination than ship. We can do the amusement park at home if we want! Our priorities are destination, cruise line (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, MSC), price, ship - ship is usually dictated by 1st 3. If merely get away trip - price & same 3 cruise lines. Those criteria usually get us too smaller ships. But, they are fantastic. Never been on a bad one, some just better than others. Surprizingly we found Enchantment OTS excellent, best staff & crew in all Royal experience.

Thank y'all for the terrific replies. There really is so much to consider. Between departure ports, itineraries, ship choice,, and now I'm seeing that a cruise I was interested in departs on a FRIDAY. I never realized all 7 day cruises aren't Sunday to Sunday. A Friday departure means flying on Thursday. So now you're taking those 2 days off and the entire week of your cruise, whereas Sunday to Sunday means just taking the 5 day workweek off. Oh well.

Thank y'all for the terrific replies. There really is so much to consider. Between departure ports, itineraries, ship choice,, and now I'm seeing that a cruise I was interested in departs on a FRIDAY. I never realized all 7 day cruises aren't Sunday to Sunday. A Friday departure means flying on Thursday. So now you're taking those 2 days off and the entire week of your cruise, whereas Sunday to Sunday means just taking the 5 day workweek off. Oh well.

I just wanted to tell you that some 7 day cruises are Saturday-Saturday like Oasis of the seas for instance. It has never been only Sunday-Sunday... I happen to be taking an 8-night cruise that leaves on a Friday and so I don't have to miss work thursday I am taking a 6:00 AM flight on Friday so there is the option to do that as well... 

I just wanted to tell you that some 7 day cruises are Saturday-Saturday like Oasis of the seas for instance. It has never been only Sunday-Sunday... I happen to be taking an 8-night cruise that leaves on a Friday and so I don't have to miss work thursday I am taking a 6:00 AM flight on Friday so there is the option to do that as well...

I personally love the Saturday to Saturday cruises as it gives me an extra day at home before having to return to work. I've also done 8-night cruises that are Saturday to Sunday, which are nice because you get an extra day of cruising without having to take an extra day off of work. Those ships usually alternate with a 6-night sailing that follows.

Surprizingly we found Enchantment OTS excellent, best staff & crew in all Royal experience.

That was, I think, the very reason I became loyal to Royal right off the bat. The Enchantment crew is really a cut above even for Royal Caribbean.

As for personal preferences, I think I would still stick to voyager class or above at least until I can someday afford to go more than once every few years. Because of this the itenerary(and subsequent off ship costs) become a limiting factor versus an already paid for fun time on the ship. With that said, I miss you oh beautiful Grand Cayman :'( !

I'm doing 8-night on Quantum for the Royal Caribbean Blog group cruise and thought that was a good schedule!

So wish I could join you guys on the Quantum. It's during my Soring Break, but not my sons, and I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be happy with me going solo.

Agree- I've done the larger ships and some mid-size and smaller - I prefer mid-size and love the

freedom class ships on RCI- (larger I know but feel midsize to me)  but for some cruises, the Allure has

been nice and then I've seen or been on the Grandeur and others and like them as well. Like smaller

in Alaska to move around.   If I have a lot of days at sea, prefer more mid-size to larger size as well

to have more things to do.