Cozumel, Roatan, Belize & Puerto Costa

Hello All,

My family are 2nd time cruisers. We went on our 1st cruise last April and had a get time in Key West and Labadee.

We have planned another cruise for next July, which will visit Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Puerto Costa. The girls (spouse and daughter) want to play in the water and hang out on the beach. I have said OK to this, but my requirement would be lunch and a open bar.

I have express if we are going to be in Central America/Mexico we need to at least see a pyramid or something historical.  Who knows when we would have another chance? They have tended to agree.

They have also expressed interest in horseback riding on one of the excursions. 

Royal has listed some excursions already, but we are confused as to what would meet our needs. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

We like Chacchoben but you need to go to Costa Maya for that.  From Cozumel you can try Chichen Itza, but that is a very long day.  We did Tolum instead.  But any mainland excursion requires a ferry ride, and some folks get a touch of sea sickness on that ride. There should be Mayan excursions at Belize -- we were booked for one before Royal canceled the cruise. Roatan is more for beach, snorkeling, or seeing animals in eco-parks.

I highly recommend Daniel Johnsons monkey and sloth hangout in Roatan.  We booked our excursion directly through them and they picked us up at the port.  They offer several packages and the one we did was their sloth hangout, snorkeling and beach hangout.  We were back at the ship a couple of hours early as I don't like cutting it close getting back.  The iguana park is pretty cool as well if you're into that.  The snorkeling was amazing, its basically in their backyard and was able to see lots of fish, lobsters ect...  Super nice people.   The sea turtle rescue in Cozumel was also a very cool experience if that is something that interests you.  

We always go to Tabyana Beach through the ship in Roatan for the snorkeling. They have food but you pay for the drinks which are not much. If you want all inclusive we have gone to Sol y Mar through the ship and the beach is shallow and easy for kids. It is easy but I prefer the snorkeling in West Bay.

Use Costa Maya for the historical excursion.

In Belize we loved the cave tubing and the food was excellent.

Cozumel we go to Nachi Cocom for $59pp adult for all inclusive beach. You will have to pay for the taxi ($17 each way up to 4 people) but the food is great and the bartender will make your drinks any way you want. You book them direct https://cozumelnachicocom.com/

56 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Cozumel we go to Nachi Cocom for $59pp adult for all inclusive beach. You will have to pay for the taxi ($17 each way up to 4 people) but the food is great and the bartender will make your drinks any way you want.

Not sure why we haven’t gotten there yet but plan to next Summer (possibly twice). Have known how highly regarded it is for a long time.

Any particular food or drink recommendations?

On 7/30/2023 at 10:59 AM, ChessE4 said:

But any mainland excursion requires a ferry ride, and some folks get a touch of sea sickness on that ride. 

A touch of sea sickness? 🙂  There were quite a few people getting sick on that ferry.  My family was fine, but it definitely caught us off guard.  It is a "speed" ferry.  You literally jump the waves.  It was like an amusement park ride.  That's fine for a few minutes, but 45 minutes each way is pretty rough. . .for anyone.  I'd do it again, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

Also, I would have a lot of input on Chichen Itza, as that is what we did.  I'll be brief here.  If you want to see one of the Seven Wonders of the World, get some pics while you are there and be able to say you've been, go for it.  I'm glad we can say we've been and I'm glad we got some good pics.  However, I wouldn't do it again unless I had several hours to spend there on my own.  The excursion is honestly too far to spend so little time there.  Seven hours (1.5 on ferry / 5 in a cramped up fan with little A/C) for maybe 1 hour on site.  I've shared my frustration with RC and I really feel that they should guarantee you at least 30-60 minutes of free time.  We didn't even have 5 minutes of free time to shop vendors.  It's a guided tour.  The guide will take you to the most important sites (three), tell you about them and given you a few minutes for pics.  Then, it's back to the cramped up van for a 2.5 hour return trip and 45 minute return ferry.

It's probably not for most people.  I'm just one of those people that didn't want to pass up an opportunity to see one of the Seven Wonders of the World.  If that's you, go for it, but know what you are getting into.

1 hour ago, DukeRoom said:

A touch of sea sickness? 🙂  There were quite a few people getting sick on that ferry.  My family was fine, but it definitely caught us off guard.  It is a "speed" ferry.  You literally jump the waves.  It was like an amusement park ride.  That's fine for a few minutes, but 45 minutes each way is pretty rough. . .for anyone.  I'd do it again, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

It's not nicknamed the "vomit rocket" for nothing 🙂

22 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not sure why we haven’t gotten there yet but plan to next Summer (possibly twice). Have known how highly regarded it is for a long time.

Any particular food or drink recommendations?

The seafood soup is really good and they will fix the fish plate any way you like, I like it blackened.

The drinks are really up to you. They have a nice swim up bar in the pool that is in the shade.