Can of Soda on Deluxe Beverage Package

Grogu

Good morning,  I've been doing a little bit of research on the Deluxe Beverage Package and from what I read it sounds like with the deluxe package you can get canned soda.  We much prefer canned soda over fountain soda or the free style machines.    Just wondering, if you ask, if the bartenders or waitstaff will give you a closed can of soda that you could bring back to your room for consumption later.   Or there is a place on the Odyssey that you can pick up cans of soda on the deluxe package.  We're in a junior suite, so no access to the suite lounge or any other suite areas that come with Diamond or other status.   

I am a Coke snob and only drink canned Coke.  If you have the DBP you can get canned soda without a problem. Sometimes you can get a canned soda even if you only have the refreshment package but canned soda is not officially included in the refreshment package.

Rarely, but occasionally, a bar or restaurant will not have a can handy but most do.  If you have the DBP just insist on a can and they will get it.

I really hate fountain soda and more often than not, I have found the ships’ soda fountain machines to produce “flat” soda, which is repulsive.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am a Coke snob and only drink canned Coke.  If you have the DBP you can get canned soda without a problem. Sometimes you can get a canned soda even if you only have the refreshment package but canned soda is not officially included in the refreshment package.

Rarely, but occasionally, a bar or restaurant will not have a can handy but most do.  If you have the DBP just insist on a can and they will get it.

I really hate fountain soda and more often than not, I have found the ships’ soda fountain machines to produce “flat” soda, which is repulsive.

Thanks!  Great to hear that canned soda is not a problem.   I really hate fountain soda too, most of the time what comes out of those machine just doesn't taste right to me.  I was recently in a Five Guys and used the freestyle machine and really didn't like it so much.  

Have you had luck getting the cans "to go"?   It would be nice to have some cans in the stateroom fridge if we needed in the early morning.  Thanks again. 

30 minutes ago, Grogu said:

Thanks!  Great to hear that canned soda is not a problem.   I really hate fountain soda too, most of the time what comes out of those machine just doesn't taste right to me.  I was recently in a Five Guys and used the freestyle machine and really didn't like it so much.  

Have you had luck getting the cans "to go"?   It would be nice to have some cans in the stateroom fridge if we needed in the early morning.  Thanks again. 

I get cans “to go” every evening with any unused D+drink vouchers (no reason to waste them) but if you are asking if they will give you multiple cans of Coke as a function of your drink package, the answer is “no”.  This would be an Avenue of potential drink package “sharing”.  I’m not suggesting that this your intention…but it’s why Royal will not dispense multiple drinks, of any kind, with a single drink package. I’m sure some will say that they’ve been able to get more than 1 can of soda at once but that is not officially allowed.

I tried to get 2 cans of Coke to go 3 different times during a 9 day cruise on Liberty in June to keep in the room. I had the DBP (and my husband, who does not drink, had the refreshment package). The bartender in the Schooner Bar said they could only give them to you opened per his supervisor. The supervising bartender in the English Pub told me the same thing. Each time I was able to negotiate one opened, one not, but I didn't appreciate feeling like I had to beg after having spent $$$ on the DBP. 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I get cans “to go” every evening with any unused D+drink vouchers (no reason to waste them) but if you are asking if they will give you multiple cans of Coke as a function of your drink package, the answer is “no”.  This would be an Avenue of potential drink package “sharing”.  I’m not suggesting that this your intention…but it’s why Royal will not dispense multiple drinks, of any kind, with a single drink package. I’m sure some will say that they’ve been able to get more than 1 can of soda at once but that is not officially allowed.

I definitely wasn't planning on asking for multiple cans at the same time and not looking to share the package.  It's only me and my girlfriend traveling and we will both be on the deluxe package.  She doesn't drink much alcohol, but drinks A LOT of soda, and like me, she'd prefer a can of soda rather than fountain soda.   When I told her that on the deluxe package that you could get cans that made the difference.   She says that she'll also try all the different specialty cocktails at the various venues just to taste them.    I'm thinking if any good, I'll probably end up finishing the leftovers.   🤣😂🤣  I was just looking for way to have a couple of cans in the room for the mornings before we make our way out and about.  

1 hour ago, FloatyBoaty said:

I tried to get 2 cans of Coke to go 3 different times during a 9 day cruise on Liberty in June to keep in the room. I had the DBP (and my husband, who does not drink, had the refreshment package). The bartender in the Schooner Bar said they could only give them to you opened per his supervisor. The supervising bartender in the English Pub told me the same thing. Each time I was able to negotiate one opened, one not, but I didn't appreciate feeling like I had to beg after having spent $$$ on the DBP. 

I had a feeling that the unopened can request might be an issue.  I'll keep our expectations low and hope for the best.   It's really just for in the room.  It's just two of us traveling and we'll both be on the DBP, but I guess if we ordered the soda via room service that there would be a charge even on the DBP.  I told my girlfriend if we can't get cans for the rooms, I'll run out to a bar in the morning and get one for her.   I'm not paying $3.50 for a can of soda via room service after paying for the DBP, not gonna happen.  

1 minute ago, amanalo217 said:

I've never had a problem getting an unopened can to go with the DBP and the refreshment package. Usually try to get the same bartender who I've been tipping all week.

Thanks!  This is really helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 12:39 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We do that with our D benefit. Last cruise when we boarded they didn't have sodas, usually had a coke and ginger ale, in our room, only water. We were told they no longer did the sodas.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, Mike n Ky said:

We do that with our D benefit. Last cruise when we boarded they didn't have sodas, usually had a coke and ginger ale, in our room, only water. We were told they no longer did the sodas.

Yes the welcome aboard benifit has been change to water only.

You can always just bring 12 cans of soda with you onto the ship and store them in your cooler (I don't like to call it a fridge, as it isn't very cold). That would definitely reduce your dependence on finding cans of soda at the bars.

1 minute ago, emmef said:

You can always just bring 12 cans of soda with you onto the ship and store them in your cooler (I don't like to call it a fridge, as it isn't very cold). That would definitely reduce your dependence on finding cans of soda at the bars.

Thanks!  I think it's a great idea to bring on the 12 cans.  I was hoping to avoid carrying more onto the ship, and since purchasing the DBP thought we could use the space in our luggage for other stuff, rather than soda, but we can make room.   Just wondering if you can bring on soda cans that you purchase at a port?    

6 hours ago, Grogu said:

Thanks!  I think it's a great idea to bring on the 12 cans.  I was hoping to avoid carrying more onto the ship, and since purchasing the DBP thought we could use the space in our luggage for other stuff, rather than soda, but we can make room.   Just wondering if you can bring on soda cans that you purchase at a port?    

Soda shouldn't go in your luggage. Carry it on during embarkation day. 

1 minute ago, emmef said:

Soda shouldn't go in your luggage. Carry it on during embarkation day. 

Yes, thank you!   Our plan (at the current time) is to carry our bags onto the cruise and will just put in a couple of six-packs in our carry on luggage.  That will leave us some room for souvenirs.  😃  But if we change our minds and decide to check our luggage, I'll have to remember no soda in the checked luggage.  Thanks again!