Cancelling

So, I have an inquiry. My coworker and I are in the same boat. We booked a group vacation, 4+ rooms with 8 or more people, and we have someone(s) that wants to cancel. He states that I should not just make final payment and let Royal cancel them. I wanted to call......before I get all the TA info, I have one with MEI, but this booking was made when my original one retired and the new one was nonresponsive, so transfer window was missed. He is type A, so he handles all the bookings and said the reps require the people on the booking to cancel and it was a headache, not to mention salt in the wound. I know I have read about people getting their cruise cancelled for non-payment, should I do this? Will the CP purchased get refunded?

Thanks

It's important to understand the details.  There are headquarter group bookings versus a group cruise like what RCBlog does versus regular "FIT" or individual bookings.

Headquarter groups are those offered on select cruise dates when a TA can offer a cruise below website rates for individuals.  Named groups require 8 cabins minimum.  Both headquarter and named groups are fully refundable deposit.

A bunch of people could all decide to book the same date and not be an official group even though it is a "group of people" booking individual cruises.  As standard FIT bookings these are NRD.

So the word "group" needs to be defined better to understand the best path forward.

Before final payment due date, an NRD booking can be moved to another date for a $100pp penalty.  If it is NRD, can they find another date to move the cruise to for that cabin?  They would be subject to a $100pp change fee but they wouldn't walk away from the whole deposit, unless it's a short cruise with a $100pp deposit.

I booked a bunch of cabins myself, so I called it a group but is not booked under any group rates. I booked them at NextCrusie so the deposit was $100, which they know they will lose. I had to first change names because the two people who need to cancel were in different rooms. I moved those two people to a separate booking, so only one cabin would be cancelled, and I didn't have to trigger any repricing. Final payment is in July. Since I had planned to transfer to my agent, I did not list myself as being able to make changes on each booking, therefore I would need them to call and cancel.......but they are already upset. My coworker suggests just not making final payment and letting the cabin get cancelled for non-payment to soften the blow and I wonder if I should go this route. I was wondering if when trips get cancelled for nonpayment, the CP does as well. 

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I booked a bunch of cabins myself, so I called it a group but is not booked under any group rates. I booked them at NextCrusie so the deposit was $100, which they know they will lose. I had to first change names because the two people who need to cancel were in different rooms. I moved those two people to a separate booking, so only one cabin would be cancelled, and I didn't have to trigger any repricing. Final payment is in July. Since I had planned to transfer to my agent, I did not list myself as being able to make changes on each booking, therefore I would need them to call and cancel.......but they are already upset. My coworker suggests just not making final payment and letting the cabin get cancelled for non-payment to soften the blow and I wonder if I should go this route. I was wondering if when trips get cancelled for nonpayment, the CP does as well. 

Cruise planner, port fees/taxes as well as any gratuities are refunded automatically when the cruise is cancelled, or not paid for or a person no shows after final payment.