Freedom of the Seas Mini Review

We just got off Freedom and my wife and I had a wonderful time. 

We eye witnessed 3 marriage proposals and they were all accepted. Can anyone beat that record on a single cruise?

It was our 1st time with the UDP and that was great, Giovanni's being our favorite. The amount of food was staggering though! The wings at Playmakers were top notch but the loaded nachos not so much.  

PD@CC was as usual a great take. Our 1st time in the "Club" and it was fine but probably a one and done. We also watched the lifeguards save a drowning man's life right next to the swim up bar on South Beach. The life guard was amazing and without his immediate action I don't think the victim would have survived. The free snorkeling was just OK, they need to put in more artificial reef structures to attract and build up a reef. 

We didn't eat in the MDR or Windjammer, so no comment.

The "Battle of the Sexes" and "Crazy Quest" shows were really fun. The Freedom on Ice show was also very enjoyable. 

We thought the ship wasn't too crowded or over run with poorly behaving children as is often posted. 

We tried Bingo another first and it was just too slow. Not our cup of tea. 

The ship was in good condition and the slides and other pool side updates significantly improve the overall experience. 

We have mainly sailed the bigger ships and would gladly go again on the Amped ships in this class. 

1 hour ago, foxrunner said:

We just got off Freedom and my wife and I had a wonderful time. 

We eye witnessed 3 marriage proposals and they were all accepted. Can anyone beat that record on a single cruise?

It was our 1st time with the UDP and that was great, Giovanni's being our favorite. The amount of food was staggering though! The wings at Playmakers were top notch but the loaded nachos not so much.  

PD@CC was as usual a great take. Our 1st time in the "Club" and it was fine but probably a one and done. We also watched the lifeguards save a drowning man's life right next to the swim up bar on South Beach. The life guard was amazing and without his immediate action I don't think the victim would have survived. The free snorkeling was just OK, they need to put in more artificial reef structures to attract and build up a reef. 

We didn't eat in the MDR or Windjammer, so no comment.

The "Battle of the Sexes" and "Crazy Quest" shows were really fun. The Freedom on Ice show was also very enjoyable. 

We thought the ship wasn't too crowded or over run with poorly behaving children as is often posted. 

We tried Bingo another first and it was just too slow. Not our cup of tea. 

The ship was in good condition and the slides and other pool side updates significantly improve the overall experience. 

We have mainly sailed the bigger ships and would gladly go again on the Amped ships in this class. 

Did you by any chance witness heavy black smoke coming from the front of the ship around 2pm yesterday while docked in Nassau? I was sitting on my balcony and heard all this commotion and saw about 7-10 Royal Caribbean security personnel running from the gangway towards the front of the ship where a massive plume of black smoke was pouring out. I watched for maybe a minute or two before I saw extinguishers do their magic. There were lots of people down there so I’m sure someone knows what happened.

16 hours ago, Married2Grumpy said:

Thank you! We will be cruising on the Freedom next month and I have been hoping to read some recent reviews. Please share any ship or port tips you think we should know. We are new to cruising Royal.

As a new cruiser I'd go to Coco Cay and enjoy all the free amenities. No need to pay for extras as you will enjoy the beach day and get a feel for the island  layout. Same advice when on board as far as dining goes, try the complimentary food and see what you think. Nassau is different, you could stay on the ship and enjoy it especially if you don't have a sea day. We walk up to the fort and Queen's Staircase, for the exercise. The city is a bit gritty and if you aren't comfortable being in a developing world environment I'd take a cab. The straw market is right next to the dock and showcases local goods. We have never done any excursions in Nassau as we prefer to save money in one port on each cruise. Welcome to the board and ask away! 

16 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Did you by any chance witness heavy black smoke coming from the front of the ship around 2pm yesterday while docked in Nassau? I was sitting on my balcony and heard all this commotion and saw about 7-10 Royal Caribbean security personnel running from the gangway towards the front of the ship where a massive plume of black smoke was pouring out. I watched for maybe a minute or two before I saw extinguishers do their magic. There were lots of people down there so I’m sure someone knows what happened.

We were off the ship at rum factory then, so no. We didn't hear any scuttlebutt that night either. My wife says that on Facebook folks were complaining about rough seas that night and we both didn't feel a thing. How was the last night for you?

1 hour ago, foxrunner said:

We were off the ship at rum factory then, so no. We didn't hear any scuttlebutt that night either. My wife says that on Facebook folks were complaining about rough seas that night and we both didn't feel a thing. How was the last night for you?

Didn’t feel like rough seas at all. Did you find it odd with the late night Miami party crowd that there was no comedy show for the 3 nights? Maybe we just missed it?

8 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Didn’t feel like rough seas at all. Did you find it odd with the late night Miami party crowd that there was no comedy show for the 3 nights? Maybe we just missed it?

We were on the 4 night (4/17) and they did have comedy once. We saw Alfred and Seymore very funny!