Chops + 1 Pricing

Ditchdoc

What am I over looking?

Current pricing from the RC site for Mariner on May 12.

Chops +1 (25% off)                          $83.99

Considering Izumi as the +1. When Izumi is selected, in the information it states:

"For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge."

So the price Chops + 1 is $83.99 plus another $15 or $98.99 total.

On the other hand, if you price each specialty restaurant separately:

Izumi (15% off)                 $45.95  (There does not appear to be any surcharge)

Chops (15% off)                $49.95

Total                                      $95.90

It cost $3.09 more to reserve Chops +1 than it does to reserve individual restaurants.

Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

"Gratuities are included in all dining packages that are purchased via Cruise planner. "

Otherwise, its 18% if purchased on board.

No. That's not the price until you check out and grats are added.

Example lunch for Giovanni's Italian kitchen is $18.99 in CP, 15% of onboard price. When I check out they add the 18% making it $22.40.

What I mean is the Chops+1 cheaper with the grats than buying two separate dinners with gratuity?

56 minutes ago, My Name is Rahl said:

Sorry, a bit, for highjacking your thread.

With the specialty dining, is it like the MDR where you can get multiple dishes? Or is more like a normal restaurant and you just get one choice?

Typically multiple appetizers and deserts are allowed, but only one entrée. Basically, ask your server and see what they say if you're interested in multiple entrées. I will say that the appetizers and desserts are often closer in portion size to land-based restaurants than the MDR.

Warning:  hijack in progress…

Speaking of multiple entrees, last night (Explorer) Dan and I asked for a third entree to share - we wanted to try some portobello mushroom thing they had on the menu.  I was waiting for the server to tell us that he would bring it after we were finished with our “first” entrees, but no push-back at all.  He brought all 3 of the entrees at the same time.  BTW, the mushroom dish was excellent.  Much better than the horrible prime rib I ordered.  I know better….no idea why I thought the prime rib would be ok last night when it never has been before.  Ugh

11 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

What am I over looking?

Considering Izumi as the +1. When Izumi is selected, in the information it states:

"For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge."

Izumi (15% off)                 $45.95  (There does not appear to be any surcharge)

It cost $3.09 more to reserve Chops +1 than it does to reserve individual restaurants.

Am I missing something?

My Chops shows as $54.99 and Izumi as $50.99. Not sure if that's why the amounts aren't making sense...?

For us, we are thinking of doing Chops and 150 Central Park which would come to $108 pre-gratuities. Doing the Chops+1 saves us about $20 a person.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Warning:  hijack in progress…

Speaking of multiple entrees, last night (Explorer) Dan and I asked for a third entree to share - we wanted to try some portobello mushroom thing they had on the menu.  I was waiting for the server to tell us that he would bring it after we were finished with our “first” entrees, but no push-back at all.  He brought all 3 of the entrees at the same time.  

I read somewhere that if you want to order another entree and ask for it as a "share for the table item" they tend to be a little more lenient. Not sure if that's true but sounds like that maybe happened for you.

13 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

What am I over looking?

Am I missing something?

You're missing that the surcharge is for the Hibachi (teppanyaki) side of Izumi.  Regular Izumi (sushi) does not have a surcharge.  Your $45.95 price for Izumi is likely for the sushi side which would make the Chops+1 (choosing Izumi-Sushi) cheaper than Chops + Izumi-Sushi separately.  What's the price for Izumi-Hibachi separately?

10 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You're missing that the surcharge is for the Hibachi (teppanyaki) side of Izumi.  Regular Izumi (sushi) does not have a surcharge.  Your $45.95 price for Izumi is likely for the sushi side which would make the Chops+1 (choosing Izumi-Sushi) cheaper than Chops + Izumi-Sushi separately.  What's the price for Izumi-Hibachi separately?

All I have are the prices in cruise planner. Any thing I posted in quotes comes directly from cruise planner. They do not break down surcharges, tips or different menus. So what I have to make my decision looks as though it is more expensive to reserve a +1 package than it is to reserve separately. Its only $3.09 difference but you would think there would be a discount for for purchasing two meals instead of a price increase. Maybe RC thinks people will purchase the +1 thinking its a bargain when it is not.

At this time is is a moot point. I decided to have a nice Chops dinner and forget the whole +1 offer whose pricing is questionable at best.

As far as the hijacking, go for it. Its relevant to to the RC dining experience which currently seems to be in some turmoil.

Things are going to cost what they cost. I just hate fluctuating or somewhat hidden or questionable charges you may or may not expect. Just be up front with the total price and people  will buy it or they wont.

I get what you are saying, however, I don't think Royal is trying to be sneaky.  Izumi-Hibachi is more expensive than Izumi.  The description of the available Izumi reservation should indicate which you are purchasing.  And if you only see one Izumi, the Hibachi option may already be sold out.  Without seeing your cruise planner, all we can do is speculate.