Greek Isles Excursion Suggestions?

KDK

My two teenaged daughters (15 1/2 and 19 1/2) and I (50) are going on the Greek Isles cruise at the end of June. We are stopping in Kotor, Montenegro, Corfu. Athens, Mykonos, and Argostoli. Are there any excursions on this itinerary that you would recommend or things that are "must see?"

Also, some of the excursions suggested by third party vendors like Shore Excursions Group, suggest certain activities for our ship, but seem to end late and be cutting it close for boarding. Say, returning an hour and half before we leave port. Does anyone have experience with using this vendor? 

8 hours ago, KDK said:

My two teenaged daughters (15 1/2 and 19 1/2) and I (50) are going on the Greek Isles cruise at the end of June. We are stopping in Kotor, Montenegro, Corfu. Athens, Mykonos, and Argostoli. Are there any excursions on this itinerary that you would recommend or things that are "must see?"

Also, some of the excursions suggested by third party vendors like Shore Excursions Group, suggest certain activities for our ship, but seem to end late and be cutting it close for boarding. Say, returning an hour and half before we leave port. Does anyone have experience with using this vendor? 

You really don't need an excursion in Mykonos. It is a great port just to wander around the tiny little streets and soaking up the atmosphere. You can wander up to the famous windmills too.

Depending on what ship you're on, you might dock at the new port, in which case it's a €2 per person each way trip on the water taxi to get into town, or you could be anchored, in which case there will be tenders to take you right into town.

PXL_20220512_095554017.thumb.jpg.d886efadf32dfbb0563c248edd01de23.jpg

PXL_20220512_104740402.thumb.jpg.9dd38d29df1deda51c6488cebc282d24.jpg

In Athens this past September my sister and I did a Royal excursion "Acropolis Sightseeing, New Acropolis Museum with Plaka Free Time".  It was an all day trip around  7 hours but I thought it was well worth it.   In Mykonos we did the another Royal excursion the "Delos tour" (an island off Mykonos with more ruins) which was okay then we were dropped off right in the middle of town in Mykonos and wandered around and I finally got my greek pastry.  We were on Odyssey and the ship was docked so we took the water taxi back to where the ship was.  

20220914_064739456_iOS.jpg

20220914_072903132_iOS.jpg

20220914_085837881_iOS.jpg

20220915_092734317_iOS.jpg

20220915_102541699_iOS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to Mykonos in August on a similar cruise. Honestly, We just want to go to the beach and rent a chair and relax. How far is the dock from the beach? I dont expect many taxis on this island. So do I book an excursion or can I walk a short distance and hit up a small resort, rent a palapa and get cocktails and lunch and then hop back on the cruise  ship?

On 4/4/2023 at 5:15 PM, Dutch Frost said:

We are going to Mykonos in August on a similar cruise. Honestly, We just want to go to the beach and rent a chair and relax. How far is the dock from the beach? I dont expect many taxis on this island. So do I book an excursion or can I walk a short distance and hit up a small resort, rent a palapa and get cocktails and lunch and then hop back on the cruise  ship?

This depends on what kind of beach you’re looking for. It sounds like you’re wanting a full resort-style beach experience with food/drinks/chairs/umbrellas but this is not available that close to the port. In the town (Chora), there are two small beaches right next to all of the shops and restaurants but it does not have lounge chairs or umbrellas so it’ll be a bit more of a rustic beach experience. 

IMG_3822.thumb.jpeg.388ed5a027188c1344c51598f19aae8e.jpeg

Not a lot of room but this was taken at 2pm. Early birds would be able to snag prime beach real estate. 

IMG_3831.thumb.jpeg.801108183821ab6ab36bde233b723e14.jpeg

IMG_3667.thumb.jpeg.654009248aa08de9e88fe7f934a1d00c.jpeg

If you’re willing to taxi or take a tour farther afield, Kalafatis Beach has what you’re looking for with service, chairs, palapa umbrellas and rentable water toys and jet skis. Bonus, it has Aphrodite’s Breasts! (Land mass pictured below)

IMG_3576.thumb.jpeg.7b0cafc4480f13dac9db6795fab9b5b1.jpeg