Last minute cruise - will I be stuck with a late onboard time?

Ferramc

So another question today - I will be missing the 45 day opening up for on line check in for boarding times by about a week.  Wondering if anyone can weigh in re the odds that I will get stuck with a late on board time?  It's only a 3 night cruise so it wouldn't be worth it if I lose most of the first day.   I've also gotten really spoiled with early check ins on past cruises so I don't think I could handle waiting around til the afternoon anyway!  Thanks 

Arrival time enforcement may depend on the port. Recently at Port Liberty in Bayonne, they have been waving people in without checking their times. It seems like it’s pretty much back to the old ways…go in, check in, and then sit in the rows of chairs waiting for boarding to begin. 
But it is Bayonne in winter. It could be because it’s not very comfortable waiting outside…especially when there is no real seating or shelter area.

9 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

1/2 the people on a sailing are brand new and probably don’t know to grab a check in time.  I recently joined 2 cruises late and was able to grab 11:30 time slots.  

So true about people not knowing. Our cruise on Allure leaves tomorrow…I snagged the earliest check in time possible on the day check in opened back in December. Meanwhile my SIL (who has never cruised before) waited til a couple weeks ago to check in for herself and BIL and was “so happy the latest check in time was the only one still available…why would you want to get there any earlier than you have to just to sit around and wait?”. I was so baffled by that statement til I realized she was probably imagining it more like checking in for a flight and couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to sit and hang out at the airport for five hours or so before departure.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Oddly enough, I've noticed during our last two check-ins that not all times have become available right away.

In 2022, I had checked in right away for both cruises at 45 days out. Over the days that followed, more times became available, some a good deal earlier than my original choice. Fortunately, the app allows you to update to another arrival time if they are available.

Hope this is helpful!