When to pay final payment for best room?

MJ_

We booked a cruise for this summer which when you select "you pick your room" only gave is the option to select "spacious ocean view balcony guarantee". I really want a room near the midship elevators (I have mobility issues). If I understand correctly, that means our cabin will be assigned when we pay final payment and if we don't like the location we can switch? But I know that I can't reprice my cruise after final payment. When should I pay in full in order to have the best choice of cabin but not risk paying too much of the price drops? Any advice? TIA.

Edit:  Twangster beat me

Your cabin can be assigned at any time and can be located anywhere within the category you booked.   Final payment has never come into play when we've had GTY cabins assigned.

I believe I've read here that people have been able to change their assigned GTY cabin to another available cabin within the same category.  This is an important part...for example, all balcony cabins are not the same category.  A couple of the differences are cabin capacity and location on the ship.  There are probably more.

I think that if you have specific needs relating to your cabin location, it would be worth it to change to a cabin of your choosing.   That being said, you will pay the current rate for that cabin, not the rate it was back when you booked the GTY.

So there is no option for me to choose a cabin. When I click on the option to choose my own cabin, it gives guarantee as my only room option. The other option is to let Royal choose my cabin. Which is why I'm so confused, lol... It seems to be guarantee or guarantee...

30 minutes ago, MJ_ said:

Which is why I'm so confused, lol... It seems to be guarantee or guarantee...

I have definitely seen this before on sailings that are selling very well. Seems like you're out of luck on picking your balcony cabin for that particular sail date. I bet if you tried another type of cabin or chose another date the ability to select the exact cabin will return! 

43 minutes ago, MJ_ said:

So there is no option for me to choose a cabin. When I click on the option to choose my own cabin, it gives guarantee as my only room option. The other option is to let Royal choose my cabin. Which is why I'm so confused, lol... It seems to be guarantee or guarantee...

22 minutes ago, DDaley said:

I have definitely seen this before on sailings that are selling very well. Seems like you're out of luck on picking your balcony cabin for that particular sail date. I bet if you tried another type of cabin or chose another date the ability to select the exact cabin will return! 

Same for my upcoming cruise. When I booked there were actually zero rooms available - not even GTY - in the category I wanted. I booked a lesser category and went back every single day to see if the other category became available. Sometimes got the same message as you, MJ, sometimes it just said "sold out". I don't want a GTY cabin, especially at the prices this cruise got to, so I'm sticking with the lesser category unless my RoyalUp comes through (not holding me breath). 

3 hours ago, MJ_ said:

So there is no option for me to choose a cabin. When I click on the option to choose my own cabin, it gives guarantee as my only room option. The other option is to let Royal choose my cabin. Which is why I'm so confused, lol... It seems to 

Something is wrong here. You may be confused. "Guarantee" and "the other option is to let Royal choose" is the same thing. Maybe you are not going down the page past option 1? Do you have a deposit put down yet? What ship and date are you looking at?

4 hours ago, MJ_ said:

But I know that I can't reprice my cruise after final payment. When should I pay in full in order to have the best choice of cabin but not risk paying too much of the price drops? Any advice? TIA.

Also, if a GTY is the only cat left don't worry about reprising after final payment. It is not going to go down. 

12 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Something is wrong here. You may be confused. "Guarantee" and "the other option is to let Royal choose" is the same thing. Maybe you are not going down the page past option 1? Do you have a deposit put down yet? What ship and date are you looking at?

@BennyandBo - I don't think @MJ_is confused.  I have seen the same thing - Even whey you pick the option "You pick your room", you are not given a choice of rooms.  Instead you get the message "Guarantee" room.  I have seen the same thing. 

12 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

@BennyandBo - I don't think @MJ_is confused.  I have seen the same thing - Even whey you pick the option "You pick your room", you are not given a choice of rooms.  Instead you get the message "Guarantee" room.  I have seen the same thing. 

OK, it just she had conflicting statements. I'll add again to everyone else's line "You will not be the one picking your cabin". Also it does not happen after final payment. Can be days before you depart. You need to be OK with that. And again don't worry about price drops if they are already that sold out for summer.