First time cruising RC

Slaird

Good evening! 

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time with RC on the Voyager in June for our 20th anniversary. We have cruised once before 7 years ago on the Disney Wonder. That was a long time ago, and a different cruise line, so I have a lot of questions.

What do I need to know?? All things dining, dining package, beverage package, and internet package, and excursions are at he end of my list. I really need to know if I need the internet package to text or make phone calls, is the dining package worth it, and do I need the deluxe beverage package?? I think I read that the with the deluxe beverage package is included gratuities for bar drinks, is that true?

3 hours ago, Slaird said:

Good evening! 

My husband and I will be cruising for the first time with RC on the Voyager in June for our 20th anniversary. We have cruised once before 7 years ago on the Disney Wonder. That was a long time ago, and a different cruise line, so I have a lot of questions.

What do I need to know?? All things dining, dining package, beverage package, and internet package, and excursions are at he end of my list. I really need to know if I need the internet package to text or make phone calls, is the dining package worth it, and do I need the deluxe beverage package?? I think I read that the with the deluxe beverage package is included gratuities for bar drinks, is that true?

18% gratuity is included in drink packages, so no need to tip unless you want to tip beyond 18% for a drink.  I usually just take a bunch of ones and give them a dollar or two extra when they bring me a drink, but I am usually a 25% tip type of guy if the service is good.

I found this site through the youtube channel that @SpeedNoodles posted.  I wish I had known about it years ago as it has a lot of fun and good tips for RC.

If you are a moderate drinker, pay a la carte for alcoholic drinks and take advantage of the free or discounted drinks for various events (art events have champagne, etc.).  For example, our TA buys us a bottle of champagne which takes us a couple of days to finish...  If you are a soda drinker, the soda package can be useful and a fraction of the cost of the deluxe package. We've done that in the past.  I used to purchase the coffee card to get espresso drinks at Cafe Promenade.  The water on the ship is safe to drink, so you don't need to buy bottled water unless you want it for excursions.  Also, you can bring bottled water onboard for that purpose, along with some wine.  These options are explained elsewhere.  Our tip on specialty dining would be to buy a lunch or two instead of dinner package-- the lunches are less expensive and almost as much food.  (We have had great experiences in the Main Dining Room for dinner using Traditional Dining.)  Depending upon your carrier and itinerary, you may want to buy a Voom package.  It depends on whether your lifestyle requires daily internet access.  I can do without it, but my wife insists on keeping tabs on our catsitter.... Have a great cruise!