Cancelled flight - excursion question

With all of the Southwest cancellations right now, my wife and I were having a discussion that I hope you can help us figure out.  

We purchased the trip insurance offered by RC and have purchased all of our excursions through RC.

If our flights get cancelled next month and we cannot make our trip - will we get our excursion money back?

Thanks!

If you don't show up, everything in regard to CP purchases will be refunded and cancelled, baring anything purchased by third-party vendors. 

But I don't know why you are worried about SWA in Jan, this was a flustercuck made worse by faulty software, weather, the holiday season, and scheduling. I fly SWA Jan 14th and don't have any inkling of worry.

I read an interesting article why SW had so many problems that other airlines did not.  It was because of the flight pattern SW uses vs most other airlines. SW fly their planes point to point - going to city to city to city - swapping out crews when necessary.  Other airlines have hubs.  They fly their planes from a small town to a hub then to another small city and back to the hub.  The major difference between the 2 models is if a plane is delayed getting to a city vs a hub, the hub would have extra planes ready to go or they can use different flights to route you to your destination.  But with point to point - one delayed or cancel flight can disrupted multiple flights. 

I won't be worried about SW unless there is another blizzard in Feb.  What are the chances of that happening.....   LOL!  Good luck.  

On 12/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, FireFishII said:

I read an interesting article why SW had so many problems that other airlines did not.  It was because of the flight pattern SW uses vs most other airlines. SW fly their planes point to point - going to city to city to city - swapping out crews when necessary.  Other airlines have hubs.  They fly their planes from a small town to a hub then to another small city and back to the hub.  The major difference between the 2 models is if a plane is delayed getting to a city vs a hub, the hub would have extra planes ready to go or they can use different flights to route you to your destination.  But with point to point - one delayed or cancel flight can disrupted multiple flights. 

I won't be worried about SW unless there is another blizzard in Feb.  What are the chances of that happening.....   LOL!  Good luck.  

Southwest has hubs in ATL, BWI, MDW, DEN, HOU, BNA, OAK, PHX, and STL, they don't like to call them hubs but any airport where thousands of passengers make connections on the same carrier every day is a hub. 

There CEO says its going to take a week to get things back on track so for anyone who has a cruise leaving over the next 2-4 days flying out of Southwest I hope they have a back up plan to reach the port.  Today Southwest has canceled 2,362 flights, it is a slight improvement over yesterdays 2,510 flights that were canceled, which was an improvement over the day before where 2,749 flights were canceled and the day prior over 3,000 SWA flights were canceled. It is slow, tedious work because Southwest thus far has refuse to update their crew scheduling technology all of it has to be done manually which is mind boggling that an airline the size of Southwest was still doing crew scheduling and crew tracking manually.

I've have some flight attendant friends who work for Southwest who were literally on hold trying to get through to crew scheduling for over 30 hours. I work for a different carrier in Chicago and when I walk past our crew scheduling department at our WHQ it always looks like organized  chaos, nonstop phone calls and that's with the help of automation and technology.  I can imagine what is going on right now at at both pilot and flight attendant crew scheduling for Southwest where they are having to do all of this manually. 

19 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Southwest has hubs in ATL, BWI, MDW, DEN, HOU, BNA, OAK, PHX, and STL, they don't like to call them hubs but any airport where thousands of passengers make connections on the same carrier every day is a hub. 

That just goes to show me that I can't believe everything I read. But does that mean I should believe you?  LOL!  Just kidding.