Need Passport or Birth Certificate copy for Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg?

xps15z

From Port Canaveral to Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg, two adults with a five year old and three year old, would anyone in the group require a passport or are copies of birth certificate good enough for all five?

Passports is only optional, as it'll be easier to get back to the United States with it if we missed our cruise from one of the destinations correct?

If passports are recommended for the adults, then how about the two little ones? Just birth certificate for them?

I will put my 2 cents in. Anything can go wrong and you can have trouble returning to the States without passports. Not just you but family members, deaths, emergencies. Never know when you need to get on a plane fast. Also passports make the process of travel so much easier. And if your birth certificates don't have the right raised seal on it etc you can be denied boarding at last minute. Happens often. Happened to a family on her in past 30 days. IMHO it's not worth the risk. Not when so much money is already involved. Also, passports help making it easier to apply or renew other forms of ID. Most require multiple forms of ID to get ID. Passports serve multiple purposes, not just travel. Best ID you can have.

Passports are not required for closed loop sailings (leaving and returning from same US port).  Birth certificates and ID is all you need to have.  I believe 16 and older needs an ID and a birth certificate, under 16, just the birth certificate.

As mentioned above, make sure the birth certificate is the official copy (no photocopies!!) with the seal from the issuing government agency.  If in doubt, order a new one.

Yes, passports are ideal in case something keeps you from finishing the cruise on the ship, but not absolutely necessary. 

35 minutes ago, xps15z said:

Thank you guys. We have passports, and was just confirming for a new cruising group. So making sure I was correct on the information I was going to tell them. Will suggest passports for adults for emergency reasons and official copy of certificates for the little ones.

Also remember that they can get passport for kids of all ages.  The only thing to remember is both parents on the birth certificate must be present when applying for a passport for their children. A child's passport is only good for 5 years, unlike the normal 10 years for adults. 

when people say "no copies," they mean like a photocopy, correct?  My girlfriend did not listen to my advice about getting a passport and is planning on using her birth certificate.  We leave in five days, so no time to get a passport.  She is bringing the "Certification of Birth" (that's what Illinois calls it) paper with raised/embossed seals on it.  It's on that special paper with little fibers in it (not sure what you call it). in some definitions of the term, it would be a "copy" because it was issued in 2013 and she was born in 1990, hence it is not original.  Are we good to go?

38 minutes ago, TempoGL said:

when people say "no copies," they mean like a photocopy, correct?  My girlfriend did not listen to my advice about getting a passport and is planning on using her birth certificate.  We leave in five days, so no time to get a passport.  She is bringing the "Certification of Birth" (that's what Illinois calls it) paper with raised/embossed seals on it.  It's on that special paper with little fibers in it (not sure what you call it). in some definitions of the term, it would be a "copy" because it was issued in 2013 and she was born in 1990, hence it is not original.  Are we good to go?

Sounds like it's an official certified copy. If she could use it to apply for a Passport then it's acceptable for use to board the cruise.

1 hour ago, TempoGL said:

Yes, an official copy from the state is acceptable.  Photocopies or certificates issued by hospitals are not.