Roatan

Safemike1

I've never done that particular one before, but I would mention that if you're into nature things, if you've ever thought of doing a dolphin encounter ,the one in Roatan at The Institute of Marine Science is by far the best I have ever seen anywhere, with the most natural setting, and the most ethical treatment of the dolphins that I have ever encountered anywhere, they definitely get 110% there!

There are a few different places on the island - they usually have a collection of other animals (monkeys and birds). You will get to hold the sloths for a minute or two and take pictures.

I use Rony's Tours which is a private tour company.  They have several prepackaged tours which include the sloths, or you can just create your own tour and essentially have a private driver for the day.

HOME - Roatan Tours, Cruiseship Activities, Excursions, Zipline Canopy Tours with Ronys Independent Tours, Roatan (ronystours.com)

We really enjoyed ours through Roatan Getaway Tours last spring. They went to AJs. We did the combo with the easy snorkeling and the water was amazing - warm and very clear. It was perfect for a beginner, and although we were not beginners, it was still enjoyable. We saw mostly conch and lobsters, not as many fish in that spot. We booked that tour on Viator, but you may be able to find just the sloth/monkey tour on there as well from the same company, or you can go directly to their own website: Roatan Getaway Tours. The owner, Jim, is very responsive by email.

Matt's review is absolutely spot on! I would mention a couple additional things. The Royal Monkey/Sloth tours are likely the cheapest Royal excursion you'll ever take and it is very favorably priced to what you can do something similarly. IMO, it's really a no brainer; go with Royal.

The sloth thing is cool and quintessential "I Cruised To Roatan" and perhaps quintessential "I've cruised Royal Caribbean a lot". So yeah, ya' gotta do it. But what people won't tell you is the highlight of the tour will be the monkeys. They are fun and you'll spend way more time with them. Nobody minds getting felt up by a spider monkey and trust me; that's going to happen.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, WhoCruiser said:

I've never done that particular one before, but I would mention that if you're into nature things, if you've ever thought of doing a dolphin encounter ,the one in Roatan at The Institute of Marine Science is by far the best I have ever seen anywhere, with the most natural setting, and the most ethical treatment of the dolphins that I have ever encountered anywhere, they definitely get 110% there!

How far is it to travel from the cruise port to the Institute of Marine Science? We are considering the dolphin action swim.