Another guarantee room question

mom2mybugs

6 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

So we have our set sail pass for check-in on dec 31 Harmony.  It still says gty stateroom but now we have a deck (11) and a muster location (B03).  Has anyone ever had the deck change on them after seeing it other than for a royal up?  Just wondering!  Jane

Rarely. Have you used the bar code trick to see your cabin before it is officially assigned?

Bar Code Trick

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

42 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Rarely. Have you used the bar code trick to see your cabin before it is officially assigned?

Bar Code Trick

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

I forgot all about the bar code trick!  I have a room number!  I will see if my royal up gets accepted but I’m right by the elevator in a good spot!  Thanks for the very clear instructions! You made my day!  Jane

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I forgot all about the bar code trick!  I have a room number!  I will see if my royal up gets accepted but I’m right by the elevator in a good spot!  Thanks for the very clear instructions! You made my day!  Jane

You're very welcome. I have that answer saved so I can just cut & paste it when someone asks about a GTY. I got tired of typing it since the topic comes up so often and I pretty much book GTY's exclusively since the cabin isn't important to us and I almost always switch anyway. Wound up 4 cabins apart on our last 2 cruises after switching to a location we like. We even saw our cabin attendant from the 1st cruise as he had moved a little ways down the hall but was still in the same general area.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, OCSC Mike said:

You're very welcome. I have that answer saved so I can just cut & paste it when someone asks about a GTY. I got tired of typing it since the topic comes up so often and I pretty much book GTY's exclusively since the cabin isn't important to us and I almost always switch anyway. Wound up 4 cabins apart on our last 2 cruises after switching to a location we like. We even saw our cabin attendant from the 1st cruise as he had moved a little ways down the hall but was still in the same general area.

I need to do that...I forget all the time where to find my answers that I know I've just seen!  So I'm happy where I am, but if for example, I hated my spot, would my travel agent be able to see what's available and switch my location?  Would she have to wait until the room number technically replaced the "gty" on the boarding pass, or does the info show up for TAs without using the "bar code trick".  You may not know, but I'm just curious for future.  I've done 2 gty rooms now and both were great.  I've never stayed this high before (deck 11) so that will be new anyway!  Jane

On 11/16/2022 at 10:00 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Bar Code Trick

That trick is pure gold!

I have a GTY on a cruise coming up, and still says GTY... deck and muster visible but no room.

Looked under the barcode and there it is. Jnr Suite with large balcony!!  

Thanks

9 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I need to do that...I forget all the time where to find my answers that I know I've just seen!  So I'm happy where I am, but if for example, I hated my spot, would my travel agent be able to see what's available and switch my location?  Would she have to wait until the room number technically replaced the "gty" on the boarding pass, or does the info show up for TAs without using the "bar code trick".  You may not know, but I'm just curious for future.  I've done 2 gty rooms now and both were great.  I've never stayed this high before (deck 11) so that will be new anyway!  Jane

If you want to switch cabins, you have to wait to be OFFICIALLY assigned (i.e. not the bar code trick, when it shows up on your documents) and then your TA can move you to any available cabin in the same exact category.

I recently moved myself (didn't use a TA) twice for the same cruise within a week of it sailing, lol. 1st move was to get out of a spot we didn't like. 2nd was when a spot we really like opened up late.

P.S. You can find available cabins yourself by going to the RC site and just pretend you're looking to book one. Then you can tell your TA exactly where you'd like to be moved.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

If you want to switch cabins, you have to wait to be OFFICIALLY assigned (i.e. not the bar code trick, when it shows up on your documents) and then your TA can move you to any available cabin in the same exact category.

I recently moved myself (didn't use a TA) twice for the same cruise within a week of it sailing, lol. 1st move was to get out of a spot we didn't like. 2nd was when a spot we really like opened up late.

P.S. You can find available cabins yourself by going to the RC site and just pretend you're looking to book one. Then you can tell your TA exactly where you'd like to be moved.

Thanks for all the info and advice!  You've been a huge help :). Jane