Changing reservation time for MTD

Love6grands

Sadly since we are 1st time cruisers (I know, no one can believe this--LOL), I didn't realize I needed to reserve my dining times a long time ago!  Now we are sailing in 2 weeks and can't schedule anything in MDR before 7:30 each night.  No problem except our 5 yr old grandson is used to eating at 5:00!  What are my chances of getting an earlier time or is there anything I can do?  Thanks!!!!

You can call Royal (or your travel agent, whoever you booked through) and see if you can switch to early Traditional Dining.  If they are out of room, you can try to book an earlier time through the app or by visiting the MDR when you embark and speaking with the host.  Alternatively you could take him to the Windjammer or other open venue and get him something to eat so he's not hangry by 7:30.

SpeedNoodles already covered plenty of food options, but I'll also point out that the concept of time gets very messed up on a cruise, especially for kids.  For some, it may be important to keep the strict nap, sleep, and eating times they are used to, but for others, those schedules may need to be thrown out the window.  5PM on the ship may not feel like dinner time the way it does at home.  Kids may also feel they are missing out on many activities if you put them to bed too early.  And that advice is all before you consider whether you are changing time zones compared to home.

7 hours ago, Love6grands said:

Sadly since we are 1st time cruisers (I know, no one can believe this--LOL)

Actually on almost every sailing this year, Clearly around HALF are new cruisers.  We know this by the numbers given at the Top Tier event.

Also if you can't or don't want to have your MTD changed, know that this Fall they have been seating for My Time in the Deck 3 dining room as soon as 30 minutes after early traditional dining has started in the empty seats and in ones as soon as those diners have finished and the tables can be turned around.  So going to the dining room early for My Time can get you seated quicker.

I think the earliest MTD in general is 715-730 on most cruises. That was the earliest I was able to reserve a few months ago for a February trip. I actually just called and got it changed to the early traditional dining at 530 so I didn't have to worry about doing shows and activities later