On Board Coffee - Seattle's Best

rjac

We really enjoy the coffee served on board the RC ships, especially first thing in the morning from room service. I was told that RC serves Seattle's Best, but they could not tell me which blend it is. Does anyone here know? I would love to get my hands on a good supply of the roasted coffee beans. Thanks!

I thought it was pretty darn strong for coffee (especially free coffee). Flavor wasn't bad at all (not too bitter).  Nothing holds a candle to my all-time favorite brew-at-home coffee: Christmas blend Fresh Market coffee

Interesting. I saw some folks do a little "tweaking" and though it different. I don't find it strong but rather very flavorful.

I think a lot of times people confuse strong with bitter. They say they don't like strong coffee but what they really mean is that they don't like bitter coffee. You actually get bitter coffee from not using enough coffee. After all the flavor is extracted from a certain amount of ground coffee beans, all that's left is the bitter compounds. Also robusto beans are higher in caffeine than Arabica beans which will make them slightly more bitter. Just an FYI.

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 8:00 AM, rjac said:

We really enjoy the coffee served on board the RC ships, especially first thing in the morning from room service. I was told that RC serves Seattle's Best, but they could not tell me which blend it is. Does anyone here know? I would love to get my hands on a good supply of the roasted coffee beans. Thanks!

The roast was originally called Henry's Blend after "Henry the cat" who lived at  Seattle's Best roasting facility and napped by that roaster.  Now it's #4.  Ok, I've done my part ... now someone tell me how to measure it to get that excellent RCCL flavor.  : )  pops

3 hours ago, pops946 said:

The roast was originally called Henry's Blend after "Henry the cat" who lived at  Seattle's Best roasting facility and lapped that coffee.  Now it's #4.  Ok, I've done my part ... now someone tell me how to measure it to get that excellent RCCL flavor.  : )  pops

Thank you SO MUCH, pops!

1 hour ago, jml5571 said:

Not a coffee drinker, but I do love a chai latte, do they offer this as well?

1 hour ago, jml5571 said:

Not sure what ship you are on, but they serve chai lattes at both Starbucks and Café Latte-tudes.

Good morning rjac ...  hope this email finds you with a cup Henry's in your hand.  After our Liberty cruise May 7-14, Brian Brooks with RCCL answered my email inquiring about that coffee and roast and I googled to find the story behind "Henry" ... we love the stuff & the Liberty crew.  Here's the email that I'll probably post at the thread when I figure out how to measure the coffee at home:  If you have any suggestions, let me/everyone else know.  Thanks ... pops

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Pops,

Thank you for your follow up correspondence regarding your sailing on the Liberty of the Seas. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have reached out to our Inventory Manager onboard and they are advising that it is Seattle’s Best Ground Henry’s Blend. We hope this information finds you well.

Pops, again, thank you for your correspondence. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back onboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Brian Brooks
Royal Guest Experience Management

7 hours ago, pops946 said:

Good morning rjac ...  hope this email finds you with a cup Henry's in your hand.  After our Liberty cruise May 7-14, Brian Brooks with RCCL answered my email inquiring about that coffee and roast and I googled to find the story behind "Henry" ... we love the stuff & the Liberty crew.  Here's the email that I'll probably post at the thread when I figure out how to measure the coffee at home:  If you have any suggestions, let me/everyone else know.  Thanks ... pops

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Pops,

Thank you for your follow up correspondence regarding your sailing on the Liberty of the Seas. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I have reached out to our Inventory Manager onboard and they are advising that it is Seattle’s Best Ground Henry’s Blend. We hope this information finds you well.

Pops, again, thank you for your correspondence. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back onboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

Brian Brooks
Royal Guest Experience Management

Pops,

I just did a google search of Seattle's Best Ground Henry's Blend.....according to the SB website, This blend has been discontinued. Amazon popped up under this search with a SB #4 blend. Hopefully I can find a bag locally. Oh well, just have to book a lot more RCI cruises for my coffee fix. I'm sure my wife will understand.:2_grimacing:

Hey rjac, yep, I'm sure your wife will too.  : )  You gotta do what you gotta do.  The nearest store we can find #4 is a Walmart.  The downside is my wife only allows me to brew it on weekends ... the upside is her taste buds could already taste Henry's when we left the cabin in the morning, a few floors below the Windjammer, so I'm counting on her to help me get the chemistry right.  pops 

3 hours ago, rjac said:

Pops,

I just did a google search of Seattle's Best Ground Henry's Blend.....according to the SB website, This blend has been discontinued. Amazon popped up under this search with a SB #4 blend. Hopefully I can find a bag locally. Oh well, just have to book a lot more RCI cruises for my coffee fix. I'm sure my wife will understand.:2_grimacing:

Are you talking about the "free" coffee served on board, as well as at Café-Lattetudes?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were in a Walmart to pick up some more #4 ...  sitting on the shelf nearby I spotted a bag of Henry's Blend.  Maybe Seattle's Best rethought  the significance of the name "Henry". : )  

We noticed that #4 was labeled Medium Dark and Henry's was labeled Dark Roast.  Anyway we brought Henry's Blend home, put 2 heaping scoops with 16 ounces of water and my wife said that is very close to what Liberty was serving in May.  Btw,  Henry's was not on the shelf the last time we bought coffee.