Local Currency Question

Cruisin Dovers

You can order Mexican pesos in advance from your bank and other sources, but the exchange fees are a factor, and the minimum may be $100 to $200.  Using a reliable bank ATM in Mexico is great for smaller amounts.  (Just make sure you notify your bank so your card will work overseas.)  When I want $20-40 pocket money in local currency, that is my strategy.  I believe you will want some local currency:  Example, I tried to buy a coffee at Starbucks with a US $20 bill but they couldn't give correct change.  The other solution is to take lots of smaller US bills.  As noted, they are readily accepted at the port stores and even in city stores.

Cozumel jewelry stores accept credit cards, but beware the pricing.  They are known for fleecing the unaware.  I never want to lose sight of my CC when I do use it, so I never give it to a sales associate (I go in person to the cashier.)

3 hours ago, Cruisin Dovers said:

I see on the various excursion opportunities in the cruise planner that you should have local currency. So in Mexico, pesos. Where do you obtain local currency? In  Puertio Casa Maya and Cozumel do many of the places take credit cards?

Easiest is to exchange dollars for pesos at the airport, if you're flying. Pesos are so common that any airport that has accommodation exchange will have them available. Then you can just do a small amount if you like as well.

45 minutes ago, Gadget Hackwrench said:

I will warn you that airport currency exchanges in general are widely known to charge a significant fee for the convenience.

I didn't say cheapest, just easiest 😄 And the ability to get as small an amount as you want is helpful.

17 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

I didn't say cheapest, just easiest 😄 And the ability to get as small an amount as you want is helpful.

If you live in a big enough metropolitan area, you will likely have access to a bank that does currency exchange with a smaller fee than charged at airports.

With advance notice, most banks (credit unions?) may be able to accommodate a request to perform an exchange.

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

If you live in a big enough metropolitan area, you will likely have access to a bank that does currency exchange with a smaller fee than charged at airports.

With advance notice, most banks (credit unions?) may be able to accommodate a request to perform an exchange.

It depends on the financial institution. I work currently for a credit union with membership throughout the world, but we do not offer currency exchange onsite. We maintain a list of places we can send our members that we have vetted as having fair practices.

9 hours ago, Cruisin Dovers said:

I see on the various excursion opportunities in the cruise planner that you should have local currency. So in Mexico, pesos. Where do you obtain local currency? In  Puertio Casa Maya and Cozumel do many of the places take credit cards?

Bring small denomination US bills for street food or souvenirs.  Or you could charge at larger establishments/larger items.