Whatsapp question

8 minutes ago, CTKaren said:

I am new to this app. I want it only to receive and make texts home. Do I need to get the internet package to use this app?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the answer is YES.  It still has to go through the ship's WiFi and, except for a few things, to use the ship's WiFi and you must pay for it.  

The answer is: You need to be careful when using any app like this because you can absolutely use this app without wifi. It will however use your Phones Data connection if you do not have a wifi package and FORGET TO TURN OFF DATA AND ROAMING while attempting to use the app.  It is a very costly mistake. Otherwise in their words:image.thumb.jpeg.17b7cd61870630f0b635177f9da50fa6.jpeg

SO.....    You will need an Internet connection with your phone's data turned off so it uses WIFI (Airplane mode)only to send and receive your messages. The "Avoid SMS Fees" translates to otherwise we are going to use your phone's data feature to connect and charge you a fortune.

Hope this helps!  Enjoy your Cruise.

Our youngest was attending college overseas and we used WhatsApp to Video call, regular call and text during his 2 years in Europe.  The building I worked in had a closed WiFi system that was not open to employees, but we were across the street from a city park that had free WiFi broadcast around the park.  I could take a break, walk over to the park, sit on a bench that was near a WiFi hotspot pole and call my son and talk.  It was super easy and since it was WiFi calling, there were no charges for the call.  I had an Android phone and he had an Apple phone.  So yes, you need a WiFi plan.  Not sure if just Voom (without the stream) would work for video calls, but for regular phone calls and texts, I would think so.