Royal Genie Group Reservations

YouthD

I have a question for everyone. If we were to get our upgrade to a Star Class suite, would the genie be able to add other members of our group (who aren't in the suite) onto our reservation for specialty dining (we all have the UDP)? Thank you

Yes, but obviously, if they are not Star Class, they'd have to pay for the meal or use their meal package.

By saying you all have the UDP, I hope that doesn't include anyone that is cruising in Star Class!  If you do get upgraded to Star Class and you do have the UDP, cancel it.  Just say'in

When you get your Genie email, most likely he/she will expressly tell you that Genie services are only for those in Star Class.  That is the rule.  However, once you are onboard, the Genie will hopefully include the rest of your party for dining reservations.  It really depends a lot on how many people you’re talking about.  Just a couple people - no problem.  10 people ?  Very difficult I would think.

I am reading accounts of Genies requesting that their SC passengers make (and pay for !) Chefs Table and Izumi Hibachi reservations in the Cruise Planner prior to boarding. Then once onboard, apparently, the prepaid money is refunded. I have never ever heard of this happening before.  This would suggest (to me, anyway) that dining reservations (particularly for those 2 venues) are getting more and more difficult to arrange -even for SC. If such accounts are true, I would imagine that the Genie including non-SC pax is going to be less and less common.  Just a guess.

I guess my advice is to be prepared for the answer to be “no” and be pleasantly surprised if the answer is “yes”.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

When you get your Genie email, most likely he/she will expressly tell you that Genie services are only for those in Star Class.  That is the rule.  However, once you are onboard, the Genie will hopefully include the rest of your party for dining reservations.  It really depends a lot on how many people you’re talking about.  Just a couple people - no problem.  10 people ?  Very difficult I would think.

I am reading accounts of Genies requesting that their SC passengers make (and pay for !) Chefs Table and Izumi Hibachi reservations in the Cruise Planner prior to boarding. Then once onboard, apparently, the prepaid money is refunded. I have never ever heard of this happening before.  This would suggest (to me, anyway) that dining reservations (particularly for those 2 venues) are getting more and more difficult to arrange -even for SC. If such accounts are true, I would imagine that the Genie including non-SC pax is going to be less and less common.  Just a guess.

I guess my advice is to be prepared for the answer to be “no” and be pleasantly surprised if the answer is “yes”.

I had a short conversation with a Genie one night on a cruise, not our Genie.  He said that Genies are able to get SC folks into all venues because they hold a certain amount of tables for SC.  If SC doesn't use the tables that were on hold, they make them available for last minute reservation requests or walk-ins.  How true that is, I don't know.  I've been on full capacity cruises and our Genie has yet to not get a restaurant we want.  We don't specify what days we want to do what restaurants, we just tell him/her what restaurants we want to go to.  We even request going to Chops Grill twice.  No problem.  In fact, we tell the Genie, up front, what we want to do throughout the whole cruise.   We let him/her arrange a schedule that includes meals, shows and everything else.  It's a great thing and I am thankful that we can do this every now and then.

I really think that it depends on your Genie.  I'm only saying all of this so people know some of the history of what a Genie can or cannot do/is willing or not to do. 

On our Symphony sailing in Dec 2019, we were a party of 14, stayed in the Family 4 bedroom Villa.  Not a problem getting into any of the venues.  Yes, we were all SC.  But, if they can fit a party of 14 in a venue, they can fit a party of 14 that are partially SC or none.  

9 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I had a short conversation with a Genie one night on a cruise, not our Genie.  He said that Genies are able to get SC folks into all venues because they hold a certain amount of tables for SC.  If SC doesn't use the tables that were on hold, they make them available for last minute reservation requests or walk-ins.  How true that is, I don't know.  I've been on full capacity cruises and our Genie has yet to not get a restaurant we want.  We don't specify what days we want to do what restaurants, we just tell him/her what restaurants we want to go to.  We even request going to Chops Grill twice.  No problem.  In fact, we tell the Genie, up front, what we want to do throughout the whole cruise.   We let him/her arrange a schedule that includes meals, shows and everything else.  It's a great thing and I am thankful that we can do this every now and then.

I really think that it depends on your Genie.  I'm only saying all of this so people know some of the history of what a Genie can or cannot do/is willing or not to do. 

On our Symphony sailing in Dec 2019, we were a party of 14, stayed in the Family 4 bedroom Villa.  Not a problem getting into any of the venues.  Yes, we were all SC.  But, if they can fit a party of 14 in a venue, they can fit a party of 14 that are partially SC or none.  

This has always been my experience as well.  I think things may be changing, however. It probably has to do with staffing shortages.  Just a guess.

59 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Genies requesting that their SC passengers make (and pay for !) Chefs Table and Izumi Hibachi reservations in the Cruise Planner prior to boarding.

This is exactly what has happened to me on ours leaving next Sunday. First time that has ever been requested that I do it. I was thinking 🤔 what in the world. 🤷🏼‍♀️

44 minutes ago, Cruisin and Boozin said:

This is exactly what has happened to me on ours leaving next Sunday. First time that has ever been requested that I do it. I was thinking 🤔 what in the world. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ugh.  Sorry to have this rumor confirmed. Did the Genie give you any reason for this ?  Is it just got CT and IH ?

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Did the Genie give you any reason for this ?  Is it just got CT and IH ?

She said that genies can only book 1day before sailing. And yes just those 2. She went on to say we would be sailing at 70% capacity and these book up. I thought it might just be Harmony because this is our first time on Harmony. We have sailed on Oasis star class only so this is very new.

53 minutes ago, Cruisin and Boozin said:

Same. It happened in January, too. The only times available to pre-book were the 5pm and 9pm hours and nothing for 7pm which is the one that holds the pocketbook's preferred dining hour so we didn't pre-book. We even pointed this out to the Genie ahead of the cruise and she thought it was interesting those times weren't available.

Lo and behold we get onboard and the Genie was able to snag a 7pm reservation.  So I don't put too much thought into this request...unless I really wanted one of the times that were showing bookable online. Izumi hibachi is a hard count with scheduled times for each table. It's not like the other restaurants where it's easy to just shift around parties.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Ugh.  Sorry to have this rumor confirmed. Did the Genie give you any reason for this ?  Is it just got CT and IH ?

Exact quote from the Genie: If you wish to enjoy Hibachi and/or Chef’s Table experiences, my recommendation is to book it through Cruise Planner to secure a place, as we are only able to make your reservations one day prior the sailing, once Cruise Planner is closed. Kindly note the charges will be refunded once onboard. 

8 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Exact quote from the Genie: If you wish to enjoy Hibachi and/or Chef’s Table experiences, my recommendation is to book it through Cruise Planner to secure a place, as we are only able to make your reservations one day prior the sailing, once Cruise Planner is closed. Kindly note the charges will be refunded once onboard. 

Just wondering, do you know that the refund will be in the form of an OBC or credited back to your C.C.  As Star Class, I don't need an OBC.

12 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Just wondering, do you know that the refund will be in the form of an OBC or credited back to your C.C.  As Star Class, I don't need an OBC.

Refundable OBC, unused OBC would go back to the card on file with the on-board account. Other option could be asking the last night for cash from Guest Services.

Also, non-refundable OBC is used before refundable OBC.