VOOM and 2 Party/2 Device Authentication

I have done it. It's a pain and requires my MFA device (cell) to have wifi calling set up, turned on and actually working to where I can receive texts over the wifi connection. Mine is hit or miss that it actually has the texts come through over the wifi connection. Fortunately I can authenticate once and if I click to keep it authenticated for 30 days and time it right it's fine. I always do it when I first board to try and get the text while I have cell service still just in case. I have found when I jump over to the 2nd device on my VOOM to retrieve the text and I jump back onto the other device it doesn't have any issues with the temporary break in wifi connection as long as I didn't navigate away from the page that was waiting for the code.

Some cellular plans allow incoming text for reasonable or even free on the ship's cellular@sea tower.  Same when in foreign countries.  Turn off data so you don't pay crazy roaming data charges but receive cellular text for a reasonable charge.  

The other option if this works for your device is to add an inexpensive 2nd wifi USB adapter and share the internet to that second NIC.  I do this to transfer large video files from my phone to my laptop without attempting to push them up and back down the satellite connection using the cloud.  Both devices need to see the internet but the actual transfer occurs directly between the devices.  When moving very large 360 video files for processing on my laptop it works very well.   

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If it's an MFA text thing, is it possible to add another MFA option like google authenticator, then you wouldn't need the internet connection?

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I have done it. It's a pain and requires my MFA device (cell) to have wifi calling set up, turned on and actually working to where I can receive texts over the wifi connection. Mine is hit or miss that it actually has the texts come through over the wifi connection. Fortunately I can authenticate once and if I click to keep it authenticated for 30 days and time it right it's fine. I always do it when I first board to try and get the text while I have cell service still just in case. I have found when I jump over to the 2nd device on my VOOM to retrieve the text and I jump back onto the other device it doesn't have any issues with the temporary break in wifi connection as long as I didn't navigate away from the page that was waiting for the code.

My employer requires the use of an app called DUO installed on a smartphone or tablet for independent authentication of credentials. I can't think of a way to do push or independent login code generation without having two VOOM accounts.

13 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

My employer requires the use of an app called DUO installed on a smartphone or tablet for independent authentication of credentials. I can't think of a way to do push or independent login code generation without having two VOOM accounts.

DUO has a feature where the app will generate a code you can manually enter rather than using the default PUSH action.  Have you explored that?  It's still MFA but the app on the phone becomes a token generator like the old RSA key fobs that once were popular.

6 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Are you able to use DUO's phone call authentication instead of the DUO app, and then set up a google voice-type phone number to send it to, then you could get that on the computer you initially logged into

On 2/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, twangster said:

DUO has a feature where the app will generate a code you can manually enter rather than using the default PUSH action.  Have you explored that?  It's still MFA but the app on the phone becomes a token generator like the old RSA key fobs that once were popular.

that functionality appears to exist after our IT reconfigured it for push universally in our organization, but in testing it, there is an invalid credential notice. I feel like I will have to do some experimentation with it on board.