Scenario: Royal Up Bid accepted then need to cancel

I don't have much experience with Royal Up, but yesterday when I was contemplating it, a question popped into my mind.  If I bid and it's accepted, what if I (or someone in my party) tests positive 2 days prior and we need to cancel.  Will the bid be refunded??

When I look at the T&Cs from Royal, it says that Royal Up is non-refundable unless RCI cancels the sailing, makes no mention of a positive pre-cruise test.  Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

I was wondering the same thing when we won our last bid. Another question that came to mind was how this affects Travel Insurance. For those of us who don't pay an annual travel insurance "subscription," and instead we pay as the amount of the trip increases, I would assume travel insurance would not cover that amount for a loss (positive covid, death in the family, work issues, etc.). So, finding out if it IS refundable is significant in the future.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don't have much experience with Royal Up, but yesterday when I was contemplating it, a question popped into my mind.  If I bid and it's accepted, what if I (or someone in my party) tests positive 2 days prior and we need to cancel.  Will the bid be refunded??

When I look at the T&Cs from Royal, it says that Royal Up is non-refundable unless RCI cancels the sailing, makes no mention of a positive pre-cruise test.  Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Out of curiosity I read the T's & C's for this.  Interestingly, there is contradictory verbiage for the RoyalUp program as it is written.  Here's a quote from one of the sections (taken from https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/royalup-upgrade-program)

Modifying or Cancelling the Offer or Booking by Guest After RCI Accepts the Offer

If RCI has accepted the Offer, the Offer cannot be modified or cancelled, and Guest must pay the Total Amount regardless of whether Guest subsequently modifies or cancels the booking.

If RCI has accepted the Offer and Guest modifies or cancels the booking, the Upgrade and the Offer will be cancelled. RCI will have no obligation to invite the Guest to submit a new Offer on the modified or new booking or to apply the Upgrade to the modified or new booking or to issue a refund or credit of any kind. Upgrades are non-refundable unless Guest cancels the booking. If Guest cancels the booking, Guest’s cruise fare will be refunded in accordance with RCI’s standard cancellation policy, and Guest will receive a refund for the Total Amount of the Upgrade.

The first sentence states that the total amount must be paid regardless of whether the guest modifies or cancels the booking.  However, the last sentence states very clearly that if the guest cancels the booking, the guest will receive a refund for the total amount of the upgrade.  So which is it?!

My interpretation is that the Royal Up charge would be refunded if you test positive as this constitutes either (1) a canceled booking in accordance with the last sentence of the quoted terms and conditions paragraph or (2) a cancelled booking on behalf of Royal which would allow a refund of the upgrade charge according to the terms.

What a mess for Royal's legal department.

We actually had this happen (Jan 9, Anthem - upgraded from JS to 2BR Grand suite) - had to cancel due to 1 positive test. (sob 😭😭)

This was a nightmare, because we were paying for this (except the initial deposit) with FCC from 2 previously cancelled cruises, for which Royal had totally screwed up the amounts, and finally got corrected just about 40 days prior to cruising.  Our TA got them to agree to refund it entirely as cash (credited to our credit card) instead of re-issuing FCC (cash at the 100%, not 125%, of course).  They screwed up the amount due back, but that got corrected in a few days this time.  DH actually wanted me to contact the CC company & dispute the upgrade amount, since we had only paid it a few days prior & we wouldn't be getting it back for 45 days or so, based on their calculations, but I didn't bother.  We are getting it back though, but DH will have to monitor the CC statements for a few months to make sure it all comes back to us.

2 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

We actually had this happen (Jan 9, Anthem - upgraded from JS to 2BR Grand suite) - had to cancel due to 1 positive test. (sob 😭😭)

This was a nightmare, because we were paying for this (except the initial deposit) with FCC from 2 previously cancelled cruises, for which Royal had totally screwed up the amounts, and finally got corrected just about 40 days prior to cruising.  Our TA got them to agree to refund it entirely as cash (credited to our credit card) instead of re-issuing FCC (cash at the 100%, not 125%, of course).  They screwed up the amount due back, but that got corrected in a few days this time.  DH actually wanted me to contact the CC company & dispute the upgrade amount, since we had only paid it a few days prior & we wouldn't be getting it back for 45 days or so, based on their calculations, but I didn't bother.  We are getting it back though, but DH will have to monitor the CC statements for a few months to make sure it all comes back to us.

So you got back the amount before the bid and you are getting the bid amount refunded back separately?

20 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So you got back the amount before the bid and you are getting the bid amount refunded back separately?

Yes, that is correct.  We cancelled because of Covid, and just to make sure, DH went through the pre board questionnaire & checked off yes for "exposed to positive covid patient within the last 14 days" -- as soon as he did that, he got notification on the app that he was prohibited from boarding.

From the FAQ:

If RCI has accepted the Offer and Guest modifies or cancels the booking, the Upgrade and the Offer will be cancelled. RCI will have no obligation to invite the Guest to submit a new Offer on the modified or new booking or to apply the Upgrade to the modified or new booking or to issue a refund or credit of any kind. Upgrades are non-refundable unless Guest cancels the booking. If Guest cancels the booking, Guest’s cruise fare will be refunded in accordance with RCI’s standard cancellation policy, and Guest will receive a refund for the Total Amount of the Upgrade.