Alaska shore excursions crossing into Canada Covid restrictions

Ken Edgar

I am looking at shore excursions for upcoming Alaska cruise on 5/20.   I see several in Skagway are mentioning to bring passport as they cross into Canada.   Does anyone know if they require covid test to cross on these excursions?   I know this is like day 5 of the cruise so the ones used to board cruise will be out of date.  Will they have testing on board if this is required?

Is it risky to book an excursion outside of Royal Caribbean as far as cancelling should the cruise get cancelled for us individually (due to + covid test) or as a whole.  Not sure how easy it will be to refund the shore excursion if from a 3rd party. 

2 hours ago, Ken Edgar said:

Is it risky to book an excursion outside of Royal Caribbean as far as cancelling should the cruise get cancelled for us individually (due to + covid test) or as a whole.

You have to check with the excursion, but most tour operators will refund your money if your ship is unable to visit (such as it being cancelled).

The one place that refused to return money was Nachi Cocom. I booked a trip in 2020 with a deposit down and they never responded to my refund requests. 

Regardless, check their policy on refunds if your ship doesnt visit.

Hi Ken-- I know from experience that if you're looking at doing the rail journey, you go up and turn around in Canada and the passport is for making sure all bases are covered. There are a few alternatives that venture further into Canada. If you're booking with a reputable company that offers vetted shore excursion operators, a refund if they're unable to port or operate is standard custom. It should be in the terms and conditions of whatever you're considering for Skagway. Enjoy Alaska!

• 1 month later...

I contacted a company about the White Pass Rail and return via motor coach. The tour goes into the Yukon and views Emerald Lake. They have me on a waiting list but will not process actual reservations or deposits until Canada opens to travelers.  They're still waiting on Canada.

Cruising 5/27 on Ovation.

18 hours ago, DDD said:

I contacted a company about the White Pass Rail and return via motor coach. The tour goes into the Yukon and views Emerald Lake. They have me on a waiting list but will not process actual reservations or deposits until Canada opens to travelers.  They're still waiting on Canada.

Cruising 5/27 on Ovation.

We’re on Radiance 5/27 and I have us booked through Royal for white pass train with motor coach back. It does say we’ll need passports. Hopefully no Covid test needed