Cozumel Currency Question

Buzzard05

We are cruising to Cozumel in a little over a month and had a question about currency.

Basically, how does it work?
*  Do you just use dollars?
*  Are you better off getting your dollars converted to pesos?
*  Where do you do these conversions?
*  Can you convert back to dollars at the end of the day if you don't use all of the pesos?
*  Any other tips for how the currency situation works in Cozumel?

Thanks

We are cruising to Cozumel in a little over a month and had a question about currency.

Basically, how does it work?

*  Do you just use dollars?

*  Are you better off getting your dollars converted to pesos?

*  Where do you do these conversions?

*  Can you convert back to dollars at the end of the day if you don't use all of the pesos?

*  Any other tips for how the currency situation works in Cozumel?

Thanks

US dollars pretty much everywhere.   Don't bother with pesos.  Occasionally I have gotten change in pesos, but this is quite rare.

USD or credit card everywhere. Do carry small bills. I once stopped for a water at a LOCAL shop while on a run and only had a $20US. I got $19.50 back in converted pesos. That was 4 years ago and the pesos are still in my change jar on the laundry machine.

I have always use USDs in Cozumel and never had a problem.  If you are interested in buying silver make sure you bring a small magnet with you to test the silver.  We caught someone trying to sell us fake silver.  Make sure you keep the magnet away from your sea pass card,  it will ruin it and cause a delay trying to get back on the ship.  Good luck and have a great time

In most places I think USD are best.  That in mind, there are some places a bit off the beaten path that may inflate cost when they give you a price in USD (they know you're a tourist, can afford their inflated rate, and count on you not calling them out).  This isn't common, but I figured I'd point it out.  

I carry USD and use credit cards that don't charge an international transaction fee (be sure to check on this if you don't travel internationally frequently) but as Matt mentioned, once in a while I'll end up with change in pesos.