What’s your most memorable (family) cruise?

RCARD

After reading through some recent posts about favorite cruises I thought back over our experiences on 33 cruises over the past 34 years.  Many memorable occasions that have spanned that time, but one stands out above all.

A family cruise in 2002 for 3 generations, 17 family members including our 89 year old Dad/Grandfather. Beforehand we even named our cruise - - - CroozaPalooza.

Celebrated a few birthdays and the engagement of our niece onboard, but the most memorable came when we were successful bidders on a wooden numbered horse (1 of 6) to be entered in a race to be held our last day at sea.   We were asked to generate interest in the race by decorating our horse and bringing it with us to all the events we attended onboard throughout the week.  With our group, the horse was going all day - - - from early morning sunrise coffee with the older folks, through meals and excursions, to late night disco closings with our younger adults. All very recognizable in our custom designed CroozaPalooza t-shirts.  Yes, even the horse got to wear a shirt!!

At the race on the final day, each horse owner had to provide a jockey.  They ranged from young to old, with tuxedo dressed men to bikini wearing ladies.  All done to stimulate betting. Our jockey was 89 years old.  While he objected, since his selection was unanimous, he really didn’t have a choice.  Each jockey was asked for final comments.  We all still remember his reluctant exact words  ….. “After 89 years I can advise you - - DON”T BET!”  We went off as race favorites and finished second.

Horse owners could recoup their initial purchase amount if the horse finished 1, 2 or 3, so we got back our initial investment.  We later found out that our jockey was very nervous because he felt he would be responsible if we lost money.

After 19 years we still talk about that cruise and that race.

What’s your most memorable cruise?

Since I mostly cruise solo, I feel like the one I have coming up on Oct 31st will be a very memorable one for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a great time when I cruise alone but something about sharing this one with friends and family has me extra giddy. Three are complete newbies to cruising and my brother has only done river-style cruising. So I get to introduce them to all of RCG wonderful offerings on an oasis class ship, in a suite, while capacity will be reduced. 

5 hours ago, RCARD said:

After reading through some recent posts about favorite cruises I thought back over our experiences on 33 cruises over the past 34 years.  Many memorable occasions that have spanned that time, but one stands out above all.

A family cruise in 2002 for 3 generations, 17 family members including our 89 year old Dad/Grandfather. Beforehand we even named our cruise - - - CroozaPalooza.

Celebrated a few birthdays and the engagement of our niece onboard, but the most memorable came when we were successful bidders on a wooden numbered horse (1 of 6) to be entered in a race to be held our last day at sea.   We were asked to generate interest in the race by decorating our horse and bringing it with us to all the events we attended onboard throughout the week.  With our group, the horse was going all day - - - from early morning sunrise coffee with the older folks, through meals and excursions, to late night disco closings with our younger adults. All very recognizable in our custom designed CroozaPalooza t-shirts.  Yes, even the horse got to wear a shirt!!

At the race on the final day, each horse owner had to provide a jockey.  They ranged from young to old, with tuxedo dressed men to bikini wearing ladies.  All done to stimulate betting. Our jockey was 89 years old.  While he objected, since his selection was unanimous, he really didn’t have a choice.  Each jockey was asked for final comments.  We all still remember his reluctant exact words  ….. “After 89 years I can advise you - - DON”T BET!”  We went off as race favorites and finished second.

Horse owners could recoup their initial purchase amount if the horse finished 1, 2 or 3, so we got back our initial investment.  We later found out that our jockey was very nervous because he felt he would be responsible if we lost money.

After 19 years we still talk about that cruise and that race.

What’s your most memorable cruise?

I loved those “horse” races. We even duplicated it at our Belmont Stakes (triple crown year) party. 

My favorite name was from Monarch in 1993. “Pop the Cork” and the horse was decorated with all the wine/champagne corks they had accumulated through the week

Involved taking my then 7 year old to Coco Cay. I brought the snorkel gear then took her t a very shallow piece away from the action. I had a souvenir "Dubloon" tucked in my waist. Tossed it about ten feet in front of her then nudged her in the direction so she could "find it"..... "Daddy!!!!!! I found a pirate coin!!!!!!!" She ran up to each tiki bar showing it off and soon we had several hundred new "friends" in our little  quiet spot...😄