Royal Up offers

Kent

3 hours ago, Jconnor4411 said:

I’m really hoping someone can help me since we are new to cruising.  I have received an email about royal up. We are a family of 6 (with 4 young children). We currently have a connecting room with my husband and I in one room and our 4 kids in the other. We got the email for my husband and I room. If we put a bid on a grand suite 2 bedroom that fits 8 people can we all stay in that room? I also, don’t know if I would have to cancel the kids room or just kept it so I don’t get extra charges??

Also, with the Grand Suite 2 bedroom do they give you drinks? I wasn’t sure if it was complimentary during certain hours. 

Thanks for all the help 🙂

Id be very careful with the Royal Up program. Its non refundable and many have been disappointed in what they got. Vs what they thought they were getting!

On 9/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, Kent said:

Sailing Allure late Oct and we have a room we can live with, but that does not mean we're not interested in entertaining the offer for an upgrade.  I have received 3 emails from Royal up in the past week, but its the same offer.  Do they change at all or get any more reasonable as the sail date nears?  The minimum bids are too high for us to be interested currently.

Be very careful with the Royal Up program. Its non refundable and what they give you isnt always what you think youre going to get. 

3 hours ago, Aycoman said:

Be very careful with the Royal Up program. Its non refundable and what they give you isnt always what you think youre going to get. 

Can you be more specific?
You are bidding on a room category and you get a cabin within that category. 
The only time I would say "buyer beware" is the Large Ocean View Balcony, because on some ships it means a larger cabin, but on others it might mean same size cabin but a slightly larger balcony.   It would be in the bidders best interest to check on the specific ship cabin description for the category they are bidding on. This can be done by doing a mock booking for that ship and reading all the descriptions for each cabin category.  Within ocean view there are many types of ocean view, within balocny there are many types of balcony.  If a bidder is not happy with the choices they are bidding on they should keep what they have or consider paying the fare difference to move to the category they want.

For me, I did the Royal UP once.  I did not think to look at where that category was located and it turns out all the cabins int the category I bid for were the below the pool deck.  So  yes, I got the cabin category I wanted, but had I booked on my own I never would have chose a cabin below the pool deck. Had I looked before I bid I never would have bid to get that cabin.   I enjoyed the cabin, not the noise.  I typically am very thorough in regards to location when making my cabin selection.  I'll be sticking to the cabin's I choose and use the funds I may have used on a Royal Up towards other things.

When you make your bid it clearly states that the pictures are only informative and not representative of what you might get. Also states that once you win your bid it's non refundable.

What category you had, on what ship, and what category you won?

7 hours ago, Aycoman said:

If I bid on 3 separate categories (Grand Suite, Jr Suite and Owners) and don’t get accepted on any of them, am I able to go place a bid on a spacious balcony or other room category or is the opportunity to bid only opened one time for any room/category? 

8 hours ago, Drew1485 said:

If I bid on 3 separate categories (Grand Suite, Jr Suite and Owners) and don’t get accepted on any of them, am I able to go place a bid on a spacious balcony or other room category or is the opportunity to bid only opened one time for any room/category? 

Odds are by the time you find out whether you won or loss, you won't have time to bid again. It is important to bid on any and all rooms you want, as the option may not arise again. 

12 hours ago, Drew1485 said:

you can try using the Royal UP link to see if they are still accepting bids

On 5/18/2022 at 9:55 PM, Rixwif said:

Has anyone that has booked a GTY (guarantee) cabin been offered the Royal Up opportunity? 

We booked GTY for June, and I was offered the Royal Up. I don’t expect to win as I bid on a grand suite and from what I can tell, there is only one left. We’ll be happy with our balcony room even if we don’t win. But the waiting is killing me. 🤣

I would think Royal Up will become extremely competitive.  Our cruise 3 weeks ago sailed close to 90%. We bid from a JS for a CLS and GS1 BDRM.... Our bid was considered medium.  

Found out at 8 pm on the day we sailed via text we didn't win. 

They had said on our sailing that RCCL  expected for SoS  the 5/28 sailing would be at 100%.

For the RoyalUp cabin Upgrades that are offerred by bidding, anybody ever have any luck getting an upgrade with a "weak" offer?

I'm cruising Greece and Croatia from Venice in August and it's allowing minimum bids of about $125pp from our Balcony room to a Junior suite. I'd offer about that much for the upgrade but not much more.

33 minutes ago, Johnny Johns said:

For the RoyalUp cabin Upgrades that are offerred by bidding, anybody ever have any luck getting an upgrade with a "weak" offer?

I'm cruising Greece and Croatia from Venice in August and it's allowing minimum bids of about $125pp from our Balcony room to a Junior suite. I'd offer about that much for the upgrade but not much more.

I'm running a 60% success rate when I bid, and I always bid the minimum. But it depends a lot on what kind of cabin you have to start -- if they can "sell" your cabin to someone else, they're more interested in your lowball bid. In your case, I would assume they would have bidders from interior or view cabins that might want your balcony, so I would give it a shot.

5 hours ago, Johnny Johns said:

4 hours ago, KristiZ said:

I'm running a 60% success rate when I bid, and I always bid the minimum. But it depends a lot on what kind of cabin you have to start -- if they can "sell" your cabin to someone else, they're more interested in your lowball bid. In your case, I would assume they would have bidders from interior or view cabins that might want your balcony, so I would give it a shot.

What Kristi said is what I've experienced as well - Booked interiors, bid minimum or within $50 of minimum and have had my bids accepted. When I have booked Balcony's and I try for suites, it doesn't happen. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Johns said:

Yes.  We are sailing that itinerary this weekend and succesfully Royal Up'd one of our cabins from Balcony to JS with a very small offer.   We were pleasantly surprised.  

6 hours ago, Johnny Johns said:

I bid verrrrry slightly above minimum on a 1 br Grand Suite and minimum on a 2 br Grand Suite on Oasis of the Seas.  This was for the 5/15 sailing, which I believe sailed at about 90% capacity.  I ended up winning the 2 br.  There were other people in my sailing's FB group that bid hundreds higher on the 1 br that didn't get it.  I'm not sure how it all worked out, but it seems like there's not always a rhyme or reason. Maybe the cabin you already have and how many people bidding on upgrading to that cabin type has something to do with it, as well as your own bid.

I think it has a a lot to do with the room you are starting from, the ship you are on, the breakdown of the room mix and the capacity or at least the availability of rooms above where you are at. I've found the older ships have fewer suites and a different mix. cruise mapper lays out the room numbers by type. Navigator of the seas is a medium aged ship. With 8 OS, 22 GS, 82 JS, 671 balconies, 202 OV, 138 Promenade view and 514 inside you can see the ratios are uneven, so where you are and where you want to go can vary. The sweet spot might be OV to balcony or JS to GS and GS to OS. Balcony to JS is 8-1 odds which is the worst while JS to GS is 4-1 and GS to OS at 3-1. Those aren't the actual odds but the competition. 671 rooms trying to get into 82 is far worse than 22 trying to get into 8. Its not an even pyramid and all ships are different. Newer ships it is more pronounced, Wonder has 115 JS and 1480 spacious balconies. Some really old ships its actually bad too, Radiance has 513 balconies and only 36 JS, but 17 1 br GS so the JS to GS is 1 to 2.

Summary, balcony is the worst launch point for a royal up on any ship, some worse than others, getting to a balcony from an OV or getting out of an Inside might be the easiest. Now that ships are back to near full getting to a GS from a balcony might be near impossible without a bid that might be costlier than having booked it outright  a year in advance.

I don't think it helps that they have started allowing (maybe not in all cases, not sure) all of the lower cabin categories bid for suites....which are in short supply to start with.  They used to only allow you to bid "up" 2 cabin categories.  Now, it seems that anyone from an inside on up can bid on pretty much any higher category all the way up to the Royal Suite.

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I don't think it helps that they have started allowing (maybe not in all cases, not sure) all of the lower cabin categories bid for suites....which are in short supply to start with.  They used to only allow you to bid "up" 2 cabin categories.  Now, it seems that anyone from an inside on up can bid on pretty much any higher category all the way up to the Royal Suite.

Agree, it seems like bidding is wide open.  On the Adventure I was in a balcony and allowed to bid on a 2 for 1 balcony.  Crazy, so if I won I would have 2 rooms for the price of one?  Not sure why I would want that?  To put my wife in another room, to invite friends, for solo points?  I understand Royal wants to make money, but don't really understand what they were thinking with that offer - other than they had extra balconies to sell...