Private/Non Royal Excursions: Yes or No?

CJS2766

With the ever changing protocols and Delta variant and such, does anyone know if private excursions (not through Royal) are allowed for ships sailing from Florida? We cruise in about 48 days on the Symphony out of Miami and planned on booking my own excursions but may have heard that unless you book(ed) through Royal, you will not be allowed to go to those. Specifically, I am wondering about Mexico as I have been ready to plan my excursions for Cozumel and Costa Maya, but not sure if I should or not?

Does anyone know what Royal's position is on private tours? I know what is set today, could change tomorrow. Ugh! I just don't know what to do!

50 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Vaccinated people are free to tour on their own.  Non vaccinated (under 12) must take RC excursions.

Where/when did you read  or hear about this? Last I read from Royal, if you get off the ship on your own, not part of a Royal excursion, you will not be allowed back onboard the ship. That was a few weeks ago. Thanks.?

27 minutes ago, rjac said:

Where/when did you read  or hear about this? Last I read from Royal, if you get off the ship on your own, not part of a Royal excursion, you will not be allowed back onboard the ship. That was a few weeks ago. Thanks.?

Ok, this REALLY changes things as I definitely want to know. Would calling Royal and asking someone on the phone even be worth it?? 

37 minutes ago, rjac said:

Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

Going Ashore

Healthy Shore Excursions

Royal Caribbean has worked with local tour operators to ensure they follow our Healthy Sail Panel health guidance for all Shore Excursions. These tours are available at a variety of price points and may be purchased in advance on Cruise Planner or once onboard using the Royal Caribbean App.

Requirements for Going Ashore

Below are our current tour requirements at ports of call, which are subject to change as we continue to evaluate circumstances around the globe.

No Tours Required for Vaccinated Guests
Fully vaccinated parties may book a shore excursion or visit the port freely.

Tours for Families
Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.

Tours Recommended in Port Canaveral, Florida
For ships that stop at Port Canaveral, we strongly recommend that families traveling with unvaccinated kids purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore. Additionally, we recommend the use of face masks when going ashore.

No Tours Required at Perfect Day
Tours or planned activities are not required of any guest who wishes to go ashore at Perfect Day at CocoCay, our private destination.

22 hours ago, rjac said:

It has been this way since the beginning of the restart.  Vaccinated passengers can tour on their own (assuming local regulations permit)

20 hours ago, Linda R said:

Can you book your own excursion that is refundable?  That way you have it reserved but can see what is happening closer to your cruise date.

Of course you can, but the refundable nature of the booking will be dependent on the tour operator you choose.  I believe Royal ship sponsored tours are refundable up to a point (maybe 24 hours prior to beginning of excursion), don't quote me on the Royal sponsored policy, as I have never booked a ship excursion.

4 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

the refundable nature of the booking will be dependent on the tour operator you choose

viator.com has been go to use. When I've booked with them, they offered cancellation within 24 hours before. I was in Hawaii last month and had to cancel one excursion and did so without a problem. In 2019 I had to cancel one and it went through, as well.

On one of my other Hawaii excursions, I had to change the names of who would be on the excursion and, again, all was handled well, through both Viator and the 3rd party.

Enjoy your trip!