Parking and hotel - Fort Lauderdale

Does anyone just park at the port? Im seriously debating this since the shuttle we had last time was such a hassle. is it Worth the extra money? are there any cons to parking there?

Also im looking for decent but cheap hôtels close by. We will be doing a week at Disney World before the cruise and im wondering if i should just book an extra night and just drive down to fort Lauderdale the morning of departure ( which is what we did this year) or if we should drive down the night before and get a hotel in fort Lauderdale the night before The hôtels i`ve been seeing in fort Lauderdale so far all seem to be more expensive than the Disney ones...

Living here, I've never parked off site, as taking an Uber or cab has been cheaper and easier.

To your point about hotels in Orlando though, you;re right in that they're often cheaper.  I drive up to Port Canaveral the morning of a sailing and don't feel it's risky at all (going the opposite direction).  That in mind, to help hedge against traffic delays, flat tires, etc, you could look at a hotel somewhere north of West Palm Beach (perhaps Port St Lucie/Ft Pierce).  Lot's of choices there for less money than Fort Lauderdale, and you cut your morning drive down by roughly half.

I have used the port garages on several occasions. I will drop off the wife and the bags at the cruise port terminal and then park the car.  We like to arrive at the cruise port terminal by around 10:30 a.m.  The reason being that the main garage will fill  up fast due to all of the ships that might be in port. One time we  had to park at an outer lot that required  a long walk that"s why we arrive early.   Having lived in Orlando for 10 years the drive over is not as bad.  That said we moved 9 years ago but still commute to the cruise terminals in Florida.  We will drive from our home in Tennessee or from our daughters home in Lakeland, Florida.  If you don"t want the long drive then stay over outside of Fort Lauderdale.  You may want to contact area hotels in Fort Lauderdale to see if they offer a park and cruise rate where you stay 1 night at their hotel and take the shuttle to the cruise port terminal before and after your cruise.  We fly out of Knoxville a lot and stay at the Hilton at the airport and do the park and fly which is cheaper than parking the car at the long term airport parking lot.  Enjoy your cruise.

I've used the Hyatt Pier 66 and Embassy suites 17th St. to keep the car with no worries. Also used the LaQuinta on 26th (Hollywood) for both FLL and MIA with good results. This November I will let the Holiday Inn Express on 17th keep it for me.

Many hotels in FLL offer "park N cruise", but they have limited spaces to offer each week.

I always park at the port.  I love saving money, but the convenience factor is so worth it to me.

One time in Port Canaveral we were going to park off site, pulled into the off-site parking lot and saw a huge line of people waiting for a shuttle.  NOPE!  I made a quick U-Turn and went back to the port to park.

thanks again everyone. I guess with 3 young kids, parking at the port seems like it'll be worth the extra money!

The alternative option is you drive to the port and drop off the kids (and an adult) with luggage at port, then take care to off-site parking and come back alone with no luggage.

• 3 weeks later...

Parking at the port main garage is the only way to go.  Write down where you parked when you park so when you return you are not walking all over the garage like you will see some folks doing.  And turn off your headlights.   Getting to the port by say 10:30 a.m. will pretty much guarantee that you get a parking space in the main garage.   Especially at Fort Lauderdale where we got there around 12;30 once and it was already full.  There were 3 R C. ships and 2 other lines ships in port all leaving that day.    I know it sounds early but having done this several times makes it all worth  the while   Like others have said you get your car and go.   Enjoy your cruise.

Don't underrate the convenience of parking at the port. I've even found it more convenient and economical in some cases to rent a car and to park it at the port over the cost of shuttle services.

I am all about saving money, but parking at the port is something I always opt for because of the convenience factor.