Considerations in and the Interest Level for Sailing in June with RCL (Bahamas) or Celebrity (St. Maartin).

JeffB

Only comment I'll make on the St. Maarten departure is that it means flying into the airport at Maho Beach. With its scarily short runway.

I know, I know. Dozens of flights in and out every day, going back decades. Doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking for me if I knew I was on one of those flights actually taking off from or landing on that little thing in a jumbo jet.

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Only comment I'll make on the St. Maarten departure is that it means flying into the airport at Maho Beach. With its scarily short runway.

I know, I know. Dozens of flights in and out every day, going back decades. Doesn't make it any less nerve-wracking for me if I knew I was on one of those flights actually taking off from or landing on that little thing in a jumbo jet.

Start and end the cruise with an adrenaline surge ... 

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I've always thought the takeoff is more harrowing since there is a giant mountain in front of the runway

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

If you're coming from the US, your chances of flying a jumbo jet are pretty small. Most likely a 737/A320 family aircraft. Maybe someone will fly an occasional A330/767 while they're still around, but I am not sure. Most of the planes between the US and St. Maarten (and most of the Caribbean) are in the 150 seat range, so fairly small. 

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've always thought the takeoff is more harrowing since there is a giant mountain in front of the runway

I know this is just a discussion, but the aero engineer and pilot in me kicks in here ?

The rate of climb and hard right turn after takeoff make sure the aircraft never get very close to the mountain. Not something to worry about, in reality. 

11 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

The rate of climb and hard right turn after takeoff make sure the aircraft never get very close to the mountain. Not something to worry about, in reality. 

Oh, I agree. It's not every day there's a mountain in front of a runway. 

Going back to @JLMoran comment, as someone with a deep rooted fear of flying, it's irrational.  Irrational fears are difficult to argue away with facts, because logic doesn't apply (hence the irrational part). 

I do take some solace in thinking about how many other planes did same flight yesterday, the day before, the week before, the month before, etc. But the worry is always there.

13 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Come on now, it's not just about size...

That length at sea level is arguably better than a longer runway at an airport like Denver at elevation on a hot summer day.   Despite the extra long runways in Denver they continue to kick off passengers, baggage, cargo and sometimes fuel just to take off in the summer.