Drug Prevents Coronavirus Infection in Nursing Homes, Maker Claims

Could be a game changer! 

“A drug containing monoclonal antibodies protected residents and staff members at nursing homes from being infected with the coronavirus, according to preliminary results from a study by the drug maker Eli Lilly and the National Institutes of Health.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/health/coronavirus-eli-lilly.html

2 hours ago, vmagestro said:

Could be a game changer! 

“A drug containing monoclonal antibodies protected residents and staff members at nursing homes from being infected with the coronavirus, according to preliminary results from a study by the drug maker Eli Lilly and the National Institutes of Health.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/health/coronavirus-eli-lilly.html

We have been using this infusion at my hospitals and nursing homes with very good results. Most people report feeling better within 24 hours. Have to get to them early though. Doesn’t do much once the patient is at the point where they need ICU support

1 hour ago, Oliver said:

Wouldn't it be more useful to focus on vaccinating? Especially in nursing homes. I thought they are supposed to be the first ones to be targeted for the vaccine now that we have it.

Well, I guess #1 would be to save lives that do contract the virus before they’re able to be vaccinated and #2 there is no reason why they both can’t distributed simultaneously.