Let's talk luggage!

Smurfy

Hard side is the way to go.  Our Soft side London Fog got so stained after 5 years we had to replace.  No amount scrubbing or Dawn could help those pieces. Our Hard side pieces are still going strong.  These are lighter than old soft side too!  

Britto-Translucent_butterfly_26_front_800x.jpg

I would say it depends on the trip, I rotate between a few. I have a 26' Samsonite cloth spinner that is about 8 years old. Though a little stained, I can still count on it for long internationals. I have a 23'Olympia (pretty good bags, decent brand) clam shell and The Bigger Carry-on by Away (Meh, a little too expensive for quality). I hate the clam shell aspect because I like when the opening side is lighter.  All have seen horrors...from people trying to shove their too big carry-on's in the bins, to heavy rain while loading. I too agree that getting some mid-price luggage from TJ Maxx or Marshals is a good idea. Color or accessories is the way to go.

I work at an airport, hard side for sure, I can’t tell you how many times a bag falls off a tug and sits in the rain until it’s picked up. They are lighter than they look and lighter than you would think. We cruise and fly a lot and my wife crams them full, we only use the hard side. The cloth ones get wet and get dirty much quicker. 

18 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

I got one in 1997 and bought a replacement in 2014.  They never ripped, snagged or failed on me.  It also serves as the IDEAL laundry bag once you're there.  Easy to spot on the carousel, too.  Lacks some mobility features of newer models. ?

4003208_2041.jpg

Ah yes, the Bag, Duffle, OD-Green. Got my first one 1980; wife got hers 1990. Amazing how much stuff you can put in it, especially when given a list and you're TOLD it will all fit. The free name stenciling on the side was a nice touch too. ?

If we sail in August we are scheduled for 4 nights on the Mariner we are going to experiment. We are going to pack and carry on only. This will be a double dip at Coco Cay so lots of bathing suit time, I think we can do it! 

This way baggage handlers are not "exposed" to us and we bring less! My hubby's packing is out of control anyway, a different hat every day lol. 

If we go we will do our part and are intent on making sure the ship is nice and healthy. Everyone working together we can continue to sail through this storm! (Pun intended) 

Maybe Redfield of the CDC is looking for a free sailing or something, to test the waters....Oh I digress;

I preferred the hard cases but they always sustained crazy damage....

travel lol GIF by Chris Timmons

5 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

Ah yes, the Bag, Duffle, OD-Green. Got my first one 1980; wife got hers 1990. Amazing how much stuff you can put in it, especially when given a list and you're TOLD it will all fit. The free name stenciling on the side was a nice touch too. ?

It really gave it a sense of personalization, didn't it? ?

5 hours ago, mworkman said:

Our names were on the bottom, as it was easier to locate when there stacked up like a cord of wood and you were told you had...those few precious seconds to grab your gear and get back into formation. ?

This is an excellent idea, I wish I had thought of it 23 years ago! ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

One key point is that if you can in any way avoid checking luggage do. If you just carry-on there’s no worry of rain on the tarmac or baggage handlers throwing it. Sherri over at crusetipsTv has some great tips on packing in a carry on. 

I've only ever carried on my luggage since I started vacationing as an adult 15 years ago.. soo much easier to know the bag is right there with you! Also, if its over 50lbs it's no ones problem except my own. 

On 6/3/2020 at 8:11 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I used to buy top end luggage but I have found that it is easier to just buy middle-of-the-road, less expensive luggage and be prepared to toss it and re-buy more often.  I still have some very expensive Travel Pro luggage with lifetime warranties but I found myself going to the "dealer" for repairs so often (mostly zipper and "pull" issues) that it became a nuisance.  I have never purchased expensive hard side luggage but the hard sides that I have had in the past did not seem to hold as much as the soft sides.  I used the hard sides for a while but have abandoned them for the old soft sides.

Do you have a good middle of the road brand that you recommend?

Rimowa is the best if you are looking for hard sided luggage that will last a lifetime. We have owned a couple sets for more then a decade and the more beat up they get the better they look. Certainly more on the high end but it will be the last set you will ever buy that’s for sure. PS: don’t buy “hard sided” luggage with a perimeter nylon zipper closure because this DEFEATS the purpose of hard sided luggage. The failure will eventually be the weakest link which will most likely be the zipper system. Waste of money. Hard sided luggage is great because it’s secure but def takes some time getting used to regarding the fact that there is no flexibility in the amount of space. 

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Rimowa is the best if you are looking for hard sided luggage that will last a lifetime. We have owned a couple sets for more then a decade and the more beat up they get the better they look. Certainly more on the high end but it will be the last set you will ever buy that’s for sure. PS: don’t buy “hard sided” luggage with a perimeter nylon zipper closure because this DEFEATS the purpose of hard sided luggage. The failure will eventually be the weakest link which will most likely be the zipper system. Waste of money. Hard sided luggage is great because it’s secure but def takes some time getting used to regarding the fact that there is no flexibility in the amount of space. 

That's why I bought Delsey, lifetime warranty. Send it back, if they can't fix it a new one is on the way.  Eventually everything breaks, so with that said warranty is where its at.  Check the warranty!

5 hours ago, mworkman said:

That's why I bought Delsey, lifetime warranty. Send it back, if they can't fix it a new one is on the way.  Eventually everything breaks, so with that said warranty is where its at.  Check the warranty!

Same with Away, if anything goes wrong, they send you a new bag and you put the old bag in the box and they pay to ship it back-best money I've spent on luggage

6 hours ago, mworkman said:

I have gone out of my way to destroy the Rimowa luggage and it just doesn’t break. The engineering is top notch. I don’t need a warranty because this luggage never breaks. Great company! 

On 6/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, USCG Teacher said:

I got one in 1997 and bought a replacement in 2014.  They never ripped, snagged or failed on me.  It also serves as the IDEAL laundry bag once you're there.  Easy to spot on the carousel, too.  Lacks some mobility features of newer models. ?

4003208_2041.jpg

Got mine in 1995 and it hasn't let me down yet!

We love a good clam shell case! And honestly nowadays... is it really worth it to spend hundreds of dollars on luggage?! That ish is just gonna get tore up. Save yourself the money and get a cheap set from Ross or TJ MAX... they always seem to have luggage on sale. For added bonus, we like using all 3 sizes when we travel! This means that if you didn't spring for the suite, you can shove them all in together like Russian nesting dolls, and toss em under the bed! (just don't be too cheap and opt for luggage that has 4 wheels and preferably ones that look like the one posted above!)