Help for those of us across the pond

Did a Freedom cruise last year and enjoyed, looking to do another next year.

Thinking of doing 2 cruises back to back but out of different Florida ports, with a hire car would you this is possible.

Looking at a combination of out of Tampa, Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale. 

Guess it might have to be 1st off and last on to give the travelling time.

Your thoughts please.

You may just have another option..... We have a new rail system in South Florida that may be in service by the time u sail:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline

This is a high speed rail with a terminal In downtown Fort Lauderdale (I helped build it) appx a 10 min drive from cruise port. This new rail line will take you to Orlando Intl airport where u can get very easy transport to and from port Canaveral.

I think any of those combinations is doable...but I would think that if you MUST involve 2 different ports, FLL and Miami would be the 2 easiest ones.

I guess it depends on the ships you want to incorporate. 

I'll be honest....I personally probably would not try and do b2b of our very distant ports without having at least 1 day in between.

It depends upon the ports and the times the ships are set to dock and leave. Back to back the same day would require some work. Have you though about looking into the option of the first cruise ending on Saturday & the second starting Sunday? I would be more comfortable with that. 

I agree with Todd and WAAYOO... I'd want a day in between if going from 2 ports... I might even want a day even if going between 2 ships at the same port. It is not unheard of for a ship to be late arriving in port due to weather etc. It's rare... but it happens. 24 hours would allow for a nice buffer for any issues be it the ship or traffic, illness, car issues etc.

Canaveral to Tampa is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive, interstate door to door (I live in Tampa area and Canaveral is my preferred port so I have made the drive several times). Definitely doable to be off the ship at 10, and be at Tampa checking in by early afternoon. Not sure what the best cost options would be in terms of renting a car, hiring a service, etc. but they could get you there in time.

I have not done the drive from Canaveral to Lauderdale directly but again, interstate door to door and I would guess about 1 - 1 1/2 hours ??

Better to have a buffer for "unexpected" things that might occur but if you have your heart set on doing it I think it can work.

Depending on time of year Port of Tampa does get affected by fog, which delays the debarkation process. So if your plan did include Tampa I would suggest making Tampa the 2nd leg of your adventure. Very rare to have anything impact the East coast ships in terms of getting back in significantly late.

Regardless of the scenario you choose, I would almost always lean towards renting a car, rather than taking a taxi because of convenience and price.

The only exception might be a cruise at Port Everglades and Miami, but a rental car makes your life easier all around.

Whichever port you depart from, I would recommend planning to be off the ship as early as possible.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Will certainly remember a cruise from Tampa should be the second one.

Our problem is if we have to have a night in a hotel before joining the ship and we fly home overnight so if we have to include a buffer night in the middle of two 7 night cruises we are up to 17 nights which takes us into the 3rd holiday week away from work.

Looks as if we might have to do a single cruise and have a few days in Florida instead.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Will certainly remember a cruise from Tampa should be the second one.

Our problem is if we have to have a night in a hotel before joining the ship and we fly home overnight so if we have to include a buffer night in the middle of two 7 night cruises we are up to 17 nights which takes us into the 3rd holiday week away from work.

Looks as if we might have to do a single cruise and have a few days in Florida instead.

You could always do a back to back on the same ship.  Preferably one with two different itineraries, such as Eastern/Western Caribbean.

I loved Tampa so much I'd do several days there myself before a cruise.