Oxygen

We are 75 days from embarkation day!!  So excited but.........my Dad had emergency quadruple bypass surgery 13 days ago.  He is doing great but came home from the hospital with oxygen.  We don't know for how long.  If he needs it during our cruise does anyone know what we need to do?  Is it even possible?

Have your travel agent make the arrangements with Royal.  As long as he's cleared to travel everything will be fine, but you will need to coordinate so they can be sure to have extension cords for oxygen generators, storage for extra tanks, etc.  If you booked directly you can contact special_needs@rccl.com.  More information: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

Thank you all for the replies.  My travel agent has given me information for the flights but nothing for the cruise.  So instead of asking her I decided to ask the experts..    ALL OF YOU!!

Hopefully by the time we go (July 30) he won't need it anymore.  We will know more about that the first of June when he see the Dr. again. 

Thanks again!!

Well first off I'm not a doctor but I can find information and sources. Based upon what I have seen the normal recovery time is 6 to 12 weeks. And they say most patients can return to work in four to six weeks. So you should be fine. But if the O2 is still needed at the time of the cruise it would mean the recovery is not normal and should he even be thinking about a cruise?  As I said already the average person would be OK to travel, based upon what the medical experts say.

Link from Mayo Clinic one of the best Heart Centers in the United States

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/coronary-bypass-surgery/details/what-you-can-expect/rec-20166141

Here is what they say in part:

Barring any complications, you'll likely be discharged from the hospital within a week, although even after you've been released, you may find it difficult to perform everyday tasks, or even walk a short distance. If, after returning home, you experience any of the following signs or symptoms, call your doctor. They could be warning signs that your chest wound is infected:

• Fever
  • Rapid heart rate
  • New or worsened pain around your chest wound
  • Reddening around your chest wound or bleeding or other discharge from your chest wound

Expect a recovery period of about six to 12 weeks. In most cases, you can return to work, begin exercising and resume sexual activity after four to six weeks, but make sure you have your doctor's OK before doing so.