Allergic to hand sanitizer that Royal uses

My wife has asthma and is severely allergic to fragrant products including the hand sanitizer that Royal Caribbean uses.  In fact, neither I nor our kids can use it, because if we then sit down to dinner with her, she could have an asthma attack. On our cruise on Harmony last summer, I had to constantly block the "washy washy" lady from chasing after my wife with the hand sanitizer. We had to constantly explain that we had just thoroughly washed our hands before coming into the dining room and that we could not use the sanitizer.  In fact, we even had to explain it to a few guests who took it upon themselves to lecture us on the importance of using hand sanitizer. We are sailing on Independence next month. With this Coronavirus situation, I expect the crew will be full throttle with the hand sanitizer. Any tips for us?  Could we bring our own sanitizer that she can handle so the crew can see us use it?  Maybe a note from her allergy doctor? 

1 hour ago, plasticmaster said:

My wife has asthma and is severely allergic to fragrant products including the hand sanitizer that Royal Caribbean uses.  In fact, neither I nor our kids can use it, because if we then sit down to dinner with her, she could have an asthma attack. On our cruise on Harmony last summer, I had to constantly block the "washy washy" lady from chasing after my wife with the hand sanitizer. We had to constantly explain that we had just thoroughly washed our hands before coming into the dining room and that we could not use the sanitizer.  In fact, we even had to explain it to a few guests who took it upon themselves to lecture us on the importance of using hand sanitizer. We are sailing on Independence next month. With this Coronavirus situation, I expect the crew will be full throttle with the hand sanitizer. Any tips for us?  Could we bring our own sanitizer that she can handle so the crew can see us use it?  Maybe a note from her allergy doctor? 

I would definitely bring your own, and carry the bottle with you into the dining venues. If you use the hand holding the bottle to wave off the washy washy people you should be just fine.

Bring your own. Carry it with you. I found out last year I have a ton of chemical allergies - I will have to carry my own soap from now on. (Your wife’s reaction is dangerous, mine is just frustrating- my body breaks out in itchy bumps). Instead of having the conversation just carry it with you. You’ll still probably have to say something to a few people but if you have a small sanitizer hanging from your lanyard you should be better off.

14 hours ago, plasticmaster said:

In fact, we even had to explain it to a few guests who took it upon themselves to lecture us on the importance of using hand sanitizer.

Just reply... "Actually, the CDC says to only use hand sanitizer when soap and water isn't available... So not as important as the soap I just used."

The responses are already spot on, I'd add, use the hand sanitizer in front of the crew member.

21 hours ago, plasticmaster said:

My wife has asthma and is severely allergic to fragrant products including the hand sanitizer that Royal Caribbean uses.  

I completely understand as I am very, very sensitive to fragrance, perfume, etc.  Thankfully, I didn't smell any perfume or have a problem with their hand sanitizers, but I also brought my own everywhere we went.  I would plop my mini bottle on the table!  A few times, the Maitre D' or someone else would come and shake our hands, or we'd touch the menus, then I'd use my hand sanitizer again.  I brought a big bottle to refill my little ones.  I don't go anywhere without my own, it's fragrance free!