Royal Caribbean Blog

Symphony of the Seas - an island is an island is an island? (Feb 22 - 29, 2020)

Final thoughts and things I learned:

• Mr. SpeedNoodles has declared Symphony of the Seas as his favorite ship, and wants to book more Oasis-class cruises.  We don't have one booked until Allure in Jan 2022 and I don't know where we'll fit one in between now and then.  But I've been informed.  Also he wants an AquaTheatre suite.  So if anyone runs across a fantastic deal, please clue me in.
  • While we were able to do a lot on the ship, there was so much more that we weren't able to do.  We never even stepped into Jazz on 4 or The Attic. I had reservations for the comedy shows, but something always interfered. There's just SO much to do!
  • We made it to a hot tub once - we really never got to spend any time on the pool deck.  
  • As usual with me, no matter what I was doing I felt like I was missing out on something else.
  • The staff was exceptional.  There wasn't one place on the ship where we didn't encounter helpful, friendly crew members.  If we dined in a specialty restaurant once, and ran into our waiter somewhere else a day or two later somewhere else on the ship, they remembered our names (WHAT WITCHERY IS THIS?????).
  • I figured out a handy packing tip on this trip.  While I use packing cubes, and typically try to pack things together so they are easy to unpack on the ship (like items together that will be placed into the same drawer or closet), when I packed to come home I packed things in the cubes that would be washed together.  All I had to do was open up cubes that contained things washed together and dump them in the wash instead of sorting them at home.  It really didn't take much extra time at all but made laundry much easier.
  • 30 SPF sunscreen doesn't do a damn thing to protect skin that hasn't seen the sun for 5 years.
  • We got really good at using Lyft.  From the time we left the house to the time we returned home we used Lyft 11 times.
  • I learned at the Quest that I cannot twerk, but the 70+ year old woman in front of me could.
  • I saw my very first Booby.  As in Brown Booby - the bird.  A flock of them followed alongside the ship as we left St. Maarten, constantly diving after fish that must have been disturbed in our wake.  I took photos.  Not a Booby can be seen in any of them. You'll simply have to take my word. #birdlifelist

We're pretty bummed that we have to wait until October for our next cruise!!! (But it's going to be a SUPER FUN cruise!) 

Thanks for following along. (Now I need to go catch up on all of YOUR blogs that I've fallen behind on!)

20200222_221658.thumb.jpg.bc225c29f9b1088b15ab6f0623eb2f22.jpg

20200226_083855.thumb.jpg.d91db69825b1a5195732ea7308c47f78.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Final thoughts and things I learned: Mr. SpeedNoodles has declared Symphony of the Seas as his favorite ship, and wants to book more Oasis-class cruises.  We don't have one booked until Allure

Since we’re officially 4 weeks away from our cruise I thought it was an appropriate time to start the blog? (No? Meh, I’m going with it anyway). I never expected to book a cruise like this with M

Friday - Miami Day!!! Today was a long day.  We booked a full 3-part tour that included a double-deck bus tour of Miami, a boat tour of the Miami harbor (with an emphasis on the islands between M

Posted Images

On 3/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, SpeedNoodles said:
  • Mr. SpeedNoodles has declared Symphony of the Seas as his favorite ship, and wants to book more Oasis-class cruises.  We don't have one booked until Allure in Jan 2022 and I don't know where we'll fit one in between now and then.  

He gets extra points !!  I'm so glad he liked the O class.  How 'bout you ?  What did you think ?

We have B2B Star Class cruises booked on Oasis 9-23 Jan 2022.  Can't wait !!!!!  We won't be on Symphony until August 14, 2021.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:54 PM, SpeedNoodles said:
  • 30 SPF sunscreen doesn't do a damn thing to protect skin that hasn't seen the sun for 5 years.

I am also familiar with this phenomenon.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

He gets extra points !!  I'm so glad he liked the O class.  How 'bout you ?  What did you think ?

I also really enjoyed it, but I figured that I would.  I did not anticipate how much he would (he kept saying he prefers the small ships, close to the ocean, promenade level, etc etc).  I'm pretty happy on any ship.  Next January we'll be on the Empress - now there's a difference!  I really can't wait to be forced to relax on that one.  But we've decided that going forward we will be booking Oasis class ships for most sailings unless there's a particular destination - the smaller ships obviously get into the smaller ports - so when the destination is the goal, we'll go smaller.  Probably much smaller.  I'd never take Ovation to Alaska again.  And for Norway we're excited about it being a group cruise, otherwise we wouldn't book Anthem on our own.

52 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Oh, I thought you were talking about Star Class - which I don't expect we'll ever do, lol.

I don’t find the 1 bedroom ATS worthwhile. I would much rather take the crown loft between the two. Both Sky class, but the loft has the Wow factor which the ATS lacks, especially the one bedrooms because the living room and balcony space really takes a dive as you move to Deck 11-14.  

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don’t find the 1 bedroom ATS worthwhile. I would much rather take the crown loft between the two. Both Sky class, but the loft has the Wow factor which the ATS lacks, especially the one bedrooms because the living room and balcony space really takes a dive as you move to Deck 11-14.  

He really just wants to overlook the AquaTheatre. I really don't want a loft because I really just have enough stairs in my real life.

I completely understand the obsession with the Aqua Theater view.  It was my first Sirens Song for the “tippy top” suites.  In the end, I do agree with Sabrina that the Deck 17 suites are more glamorous, but you will never convince someone who has the ATS lust so it’s best to just get it out of your system.  The truth is, these days, they (ATS) are a bit more affordable anyway, so they are a good Segway drug.  Hmmm...that doesn’t sound good, does it ? 

16 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

so they are a good Segway drug

Not at all fond of those drugs that make me get on a motorized people-mover and start free-wheeling all around town. Before you know it I'm shouting "YEEEE-HAAAA!" and swinging an imaginary lasso over my head. 😁

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

What did you think ?We have B2B Star Class cruises booked on Oasis 9-23 Jan 2022.  Can't wait !!!!!  We won't be on Symphony until August 14, 2021.

We get on the 30th as you get off.  Sailing with my high school friend and her husband for my 30th anniversary.  She was my maid of honor.  It is his first cruise and we are in the A1.  He will be blown away!  hoping you will do a live blog for me to enjoy the week before!