$90 reservation charge after full payment???

Jason.H.

Hello, my wife and I booked our first Celebrity cruise this morning at a great deal on the Equinox this November 2. We put in our card number and selected pay in full and submitted. It says thank you for payment and now shows we owe $90 for a reservation fee that will be due tomorrow?? What the heck is this junk? We booked through their website. Wife is on hold to speak with someone there. We've been on 8 RC cruises and have never been charged anything after final payment.

7 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

Hello, my wife and I booked our first Celebrity cruise this morning at a great deal on the Equinox this November 2. We put in our card number and selected pay in full and submitted. It says thank you for payment and now shows we owe $90 for a reservation fee that will be due tomorrow?? What the heck is this junk? We booked through their website. Wife is on hold to speak with someone there. We've been on 8 RC cruises and have never been charged anything after final payment.

Ever find out what the mysterious $90 charge was for?  You booked directly with Celebrity?

18 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Ever find out what the mysterious $90 charge was for?  You booked directly with Celebrity?

Well, long story.

So we were looking at this particular cruise and on wednesday night it was last night for the labor day sale. Balcony room with 2 perks (drink package and $300obc) for $2407.36. Almost booked it but just couldn't pull the trigger. Just happened to check the site again yesterday morning the new sale includes a free perk so I priced out the same room again and now for same room and drink package, $300obc, and paid gratuities the price had dropped to $1897.36. We booked it right away. Waited an hour, still no confirmation email and no charge to credit card. Called them and my wife talk to some jerk insisting it was our fault and we did something wrong. So we booked it again, it went through and got our confirmation number and receipt showing all three perks and a $910 resident discount for North Carolina??? guessing this was the glitch making the price $510 cheaper even with the 3rd included perk. But at the bottom of receipt it showed total amount 1897.36, paid amount 1897.36 and amount due sept 6 $90.

So we called about the $90 and they said they had no idea what it was for but they did have bad news and told us the 1897 price did not include the perks. It was just for the resident price. So my wife argued and sent her the screen shots of our documents with pricing and the 3 perks. She then stated she knows it is very misleading but shes sorry and theres nothing she can do. She asked if this was our first cruise with celebrity and we told her yes but we are emerald members with RC. My wife got off the phone with her and gave me the bad news, I just told her it was ridiculous and to cancel it. She agreed. Before my wife could call back the same lady from celebrity called her back and told her she talked with her supervisor and said they would be happy to honor the price and perks and remove the $90 fee and it was their mistake. Woohoo!!! We couldn't be happier. Sorry for the long read.. and yes we booked directly with Celebrity on their website.

;

Interesting, @Jason.H.. It was definitely a screw-up on the web site (gee, big suprise! ?), but at the same time what the rep told you about the resident discount was correct. Resident discounts, when you request them, are typically offered without any other perks applied. The final reservation screen should have indicated somewhere that there were no perks, or just not listed any perks applied, but if you had screen shots showing otherwise then you were dead to rights.

At that point I'm not sure that it was really Celebrity doing the right thing by honoring it, as much as they might have had no choice; if I remember right, they have to honor it at that point because of state / federal laws that mandate merchants must honor any printed sales / promotions / receipts or be liable for false advertising and / or breach of contract. I want to say there have been precedents in the past where it was ruled that it didn't matter if it was an error on the merchant's part, once an offer was printed for public view, or a contract signed with the "incorrect" items, it's binding.

I'm no lawyer and I know there are at least a few here who are, or have the knowledge base of one (I'm looking at you, @twangster ?), so I'm sure they can clarify / correct me if I'm totally off-base.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I'm no lawyer and I know there are at least a few here who are, or have the knowledge base of one (I'm looking at you, @twangster ?), so I'm sure they can clarify / correct me if I'm totally off-base.

Probably varies by state but it's quite common for airlines to advertise a mistaken rate and cancel bookings without legal repercussions.