Drink packages a bargain?

kittysoul

I was looking at some of the other cruise lines, just to compare and see what the differences were with them.... out of curiosity.   I saw that Norwegian's drink packages made RC's look fantastic.... those are some CRAZY prices ... 128. dollars A DAY?? whew... i won't be complaining about any of the RC prices anymore...sale or no sale... lol    Those who have been on both lines... is this right??  https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

NCL's posted drink package pricing is a bit of a sham, as it's so obviously intended to get people to be happy with the Free At Sea promos they regularly offer and... entice... them into making that one of the chosen perks. People feel like they're saving a bunch of money, but of course they're really paying for the package through the cruise fare, albeit at a rate that's likely a bit lower than what's posted.

The kick in the teeth, though, is that even when you choose the perk, you're still charged the daily gratuity for the package, at the listed package price, on top of the cruise fare; which means an extra $20-ish per day as soon as you've clicked the "YOLO Book It!!!" button.

@JLMoran   ahhh,  now its starting to make some sense.... is interesting and fun just going through all of different cruise lines various things... just for something to do ..I guess the point is, you have to always look at the whole picture and the bottom line... no matter which line you are looking at...

4 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

@JLMoran   ahhh,  now its starting to make some sense.... is interesting and fun just going through all of different cruise lines various things... just for something to do ..I guess the point is, you have to always look at the whole picture and the bottom line... no matter which line you are looking at...

Yup. I imagine this is a big part of why Celebrity never offers its drink package at a discount and has it perpetually priced at $59/day; like NCL, Celebrity routinely offers the drink package as a perk for all stateroom categories; putting it on sale would likely tick off a large number of passengers who got it as an "included perk" and might feel that now the perk is being "devalued".

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

NCL's posted drink package pricing is a bit of a sham, as it's so obviously intended to get people to be happy with the Free At Sea promos they regularly offer and... entice... them into making that one of the chosen perks. People feel like they're saving a bunch of money, but of course they're really paying for the package through the cruise fare, albeit at a rate that's likely a bit lower than what's posted.

The kick in the teeth, though, is that even when you choose the perk, you're still charged the daily gratuity for the package, at the listed package price, on top of the cruise fare; which means an extra $20-ish per day as soon as you've clicked the "YOLO Book It!!!" button.

YEP! They are slick. We were going to sail Pride of America (cancelled) and once the promotional came up for our sailing, even though it was a touch higher, it brought the drink package down to just shy of $400 (as you said have to pay gratuities). The other free at sea or whatever they call it is BS too. $50 dollars is what you get for "free" excursions. The "free" flight is just a few hundred too.

And NCL "free" drink package does not even include bottled water.  Also premium liquors are priced above the limit on the package.  When I compare like cruises same type cabin same weeks, I almost always find RCCL cheaper even including a drink package and internet purchase to make them comparable