Transfer to Travel Agent

Hi all -

My wife and I are going on Anthem in a few weeks and it’ll be my first cruise. If we like it (and if I don’t get seasick), we would definitely want to book our next cruise ASAP.

I have Travel Dollars to use through the National Education Association’s travel program. But I would like to keep my current travel agent as she has treated us very well on our previous vacations.

Has anyone tried transferring a reservation not directly booked through Royal Caribbean? I have a sense that it might not be possible but maybe there might be some people on the forum who are also NEA members or have some type of discount through their job?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

Has anyone tried transferring a reservation not directly booked through Royal Caribbean? I have a sense that it might not be possible but maybe there might be some people on the forum who are also NEA members or have some type of discount through their job?

@RockerDom31  To be clear, you are trying to transfer a booking from one travel agent to another travel agent?  If so, I am not sure how to do that.

14 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@RockerDom31  To be clear, you are trying to transfer a booking from one travel agent to another travel agent?  If so, I am not sure how to do that.

If that is the case, then you'd have to have travel agent A release reservation back to the person (one form to fill out and agency has to agree) and then transfer to travel agent B (another form to fill out).

1 minute ago, Matt said:

If that is the case, then you'd have to have travel agent A release reservation back to the person (one form to fill out and agency has to agree) and then transfer to travel agent B (another form to fill out).

This sounds like something you would really need to be highly motivated to do to tackle that sort of change.

5 minutes ago, YOLO said:

That’s what I’m kind of unsure about - when you book through NEA, I don’t believe you are assigned a “Travel Agent” - I think they are more of a “booking site”. I could be wrong though...

They are offering $250-750 off, depending on stateroom category, of the lowest Royal Caribbean advertised price.

We are having our pre-Cruise meeting with our travel agent next week so I was going to ask then if there would be anything she could do on her end.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! This website and forum is literally the best source of information for all things Royal. You guys are the best!

1 minute ago, RockerDom31 said:

That’s what I’m kind of unsure about - when you book through NEA, I don’t believe you are assigned a “Travel Agent” - I think they are more of a “booking site”. I could be wrong though...

They are offering $250-750 off, depending on stateroom category, of the lowest Royal Caribbean advertised price.

We are having our pre-Cruise meeting with our travel agent next week so I was going to ask then if there would be anything she could do on her end.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! This website and forum is literally the best source of information for all things Royal. You guys are the best!

You are booked with a TA even if it seems like a booking site - especially if you are meeting with your agent before you go.  If you are pleased with the service you are getting from them then there would be no reason to change agencies.  Not all agents and agencies are created the same, but when you find someone that you work well with you should stick with them.

The process to transfer from agency to agency described by @Matt is correct.  While it sounds like a lot of forms, it goes seamless most of the time.  Always check with the agency you are booked at before you ask them to release the booking to make sure they do not have any fees they will charge you if you cancel the booking with them.

16 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

@RockerDom31  Welcome to the RCB forums!  Sorry, I should have noticed you are new.  Yes, if you have a question I am sure there are people here who can answer.

Yes like @AnnetteJackson said, it does look like you are booked through a TA.  If you went through the NEA site, doesn't that assure you that you will be able to use your Travel Dollars with the TA they assign?  Maybe that would be the first question you plan to ask.  is there a number you can call before you meet the TA?

6 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

but when you find someone that you work well with you should stick with them.

That was kind of my gut reaction. As much as using those travel dollars would be nice, it’s hard to put a price on having a sense of security. Plus I’ve learned so many other ways to save money from this blog!

Thank you all for your responses!

Ah I think I may have mixed a few details up

We are currently using a TA who my wife and I have been using since our honeymoon and she has always been good to us (this is who we are meeting with next week).

Recently, I got an email from NEA Member Benefits with the whole discount deal if we book an RC cruise with them. But I am hesitant to do that if means losing the services of our current TA. I was just seeing if there was a way to get the best of both worlds 

Sorry for the confusion!

15 minutes ago, YOLO said:

@RockerDom31  Welcome to the RCB forums!  Sorry, I should have noticed you are new.  Yes, if you have a question I am sure there are people here who can answer.

Thanks! I have been perusing these forums, reading the blogs, and watching the videos for over a year now - I just finally got the courage to put up a post!

1 minute ago, RockerDom31 said:

Thanks! I have been perusing these forums, reading the blogs, and watching the videos for over a year now - I just finally got the courage to put up a post!

That's sort of my story.  I have been listening to Matt's podcast for several years.  I never wrote in or joined this forum.  Until about a month ago.  There's lots of helpful people here!

8 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

Ah I think I may have mixed a few details up

We are currently using a TA who my wife and I have been using since our honeymoon and she has always been good to us (this is who we are meeting with next week).

Recently, I got an email from NEA Member Benefits with the whole discount deal if we book an RC cruise with them. But I am hesitant to do that if means losing the services of our current TA. I was just seeing if there was a way to get the best of both worlds 

Sorry for the confusion!

OK, now I understand.  Sounds like starting with your TA to see if she can apply those NEA Travel Dollars for you would be best  Then, if not, then you will need to make a difficult decision.  Gook Luck.  Let us know how it turns out...

So I just booked my first RCCL cruise for January 2020.  I have used Costco successfully in the past for my Disney reservations.  Should I use them for this reservation?

I would get about $150 Cash Card for Costco....just thinking it may be easier to deal with Royal direct for my first reservation as I will have tons of questions since it is so new to me.