Let's Talk Luggage...How Many Bags Do You Bring?

Next month will bring us to cruising for 27 years as adults.   Over the years I've really perfected my packing list and can easily do a seven night cruise in the carry-on luggage size.  I have one large purse that carries all the essentials, and the clothes go in the bag.  We did a 12 night repo in 2018, and were traveling to Boston the night before, so had to pack for 13 nights for the first time.  We actually had to go buy new suitcases as we didn't own the size that you check!  LOL 

We always pack expecting to wear things more than once, as someone earlier mentioned that if you wear a pair of short for a couple of hours to breakfast, then change into swimwear for the afternoon, then straight to dinner clothes, those shorts are still clean.  My husband expects to wear his dinner pants at least twice, and we usually do a night or two in the WJ so that's more casual.  We almost always buy a t-shirt or two, so pack with the expectation to wear and have room for those.  I look carefully at my itinerary, and pack based on what we are planning on doing.  We did a 7 night out of Baltimore recently that included no beach days, so only one swimsuit was needed for the entire trip.  If I'm going to be on a waking tour somewhere it's hot, I don't plan on wearing that outfit a second time.  I'm at the point where I don't come back with more than 1 thing unworn.  I'm not a girly girl that needs options, needs to decide that moment what I'm wearing, so I'm good with planning ahead of time and sticking to the plan.  

Yes, I am a planner, an overthinker, and have a little OCD, but I save a lot on airfare when not having to check bags! 

Recently, we purchased these and really love them.  Gives a bit of extra space, allows an extra outfit, my husband's CPAP. and various other items.  it really truly does it under the seat in front of you. https://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/quilted-rolling-overnighter/256557?productid=10718626 

So now, if we're flying, this comes with us as our "personal item that fits under the seat in front of you."  It holds everything that we would've put in the large purse or backpack, and even more.  

Now...all that being said, we're doing a 6 night repo in October that we are bringing the large suitcases.  It's a one way flight home, no extra nights, but we're flying SW and get the free checked bag.  One of our stops is St. Martin and we're loading up on our favorite Guavaberry coconut & lime rums.  We will still pack as light as we normally do, so we have the extra weight for a couple bottles in each suitcase. We're back in St Martin again in December, and have Economy flights and do not want to pay to check the bags round trip.  So need to stock up! 

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Just got enough rewards points to finally get the second piece of luggage I've been saving up for. This is what I'll be using to pack for all cruises and other travel going forward, and if it doesn't fit in one of these then it ain't going with me.

Travelpro Luggage Platinum Elite 25" Expandable Spinner Suitcase with Suiter, Espresso Brown: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL838L3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Travelpro Luggage Platinum Elite 22" Carry-On Expandable Rollaboard w/USB Port, Espresso Brown: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL64LFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I actually have matching luggage for the first time in my life! ?

Nice!!   We got matching luggage but it is American tourister super cheap.  When I decide I can't handle my too heavy bags tipping anymore I will buy the luggage with 4 wheels... The ones I have with 2 are totally tippy.  But they ARE purple and make me happy!!! Jane

1 28" checked bag

1 24" that we check as well

1 21" carryon... depends on my mood if we check that  (sometimes depending on the weather we'll skip one of the smaller bags or will condense some of the miscellaneous bags into the 21" and then use those misc bags for souvenirs.  

1 backpack  (this is my "cant live without the stuff in this" bag)

1 messenger bag (because hub gets self conscious toting around a backpack so he gets my laptop bag)

1 purse.  Hey its luggage.  

1 hour ago, ThyriC said:

1 28" checked bag

Is this sized in a way that it doesn’t go over airline size limits and incur those hefty oversized luggage fees? I was originally looking at a 29” version of the checked bag I linked above, but it comes out to 64 linear inches (most airlines max at 61) and can’t be checked without paying that fee.