Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Could not make April 14 cruise on Harmony because flight to Ft Lauderdale cancelled due to weather.  Had trip insurance with original booking.  Paid for many extras, excursions drink package, spa, etc. Only thing reimbursed so far, drink package and a couple of excursions.  Royal Caribbean still owes original cruise cost plus excursion, and spa.  The delay for reimbursement is now over 30 days.  I have another cruise in November and they want me to purchase in advance more excursions. I think not.  What good is their insurance.  Give them money and it's like trying to pull teeth to get it back.  Everyone beware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Edb said:

Could not make April 14 cruise on Harmony because flight to Ft Lauderdale cancelled due to weather.  Had trip insurance with original booking.  Paid for many extras, excursions drink package, spa, etc. Only thing reimbursed so far, drink package and a couple of excursions.  Royal Caribbean still owes original cruise cost plus excursion, and spa.  The delay for reimbursement is now over 30 days.  I have another cruise in November and they want me to purchase in advance more excursions. I think not.  What good is their insurance.  Give them money and it's like trying to pull teeth to get it back.  Everyone beware.

Always go a day ahead.  It's not just the insurance/money.  It's about your vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry to hear about this. You should get all your money back from RC for shore excursions and other cruise planner purchases.  I assume you have filed your claim with AON (the travel insurance through RC).  Unfortunately,  I don't think the flight cancellation is a covered reason to receive cash back for your cruise but not knowing what state you are from, I can't see your exact policy.  The best you are probably looking at is a 75% future cruise credit which is better than nothing.  

I think we've all learned several things about travel insurance recently due to other people. Many travel insurance companies won't cover some basics that we all assumed were covered as they all have ways to not pay.   Here is a recent experience from the blog  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, melski94 said:

I'm really sorry to hear about this. You should get all your money back from RC for shore excursions and other cruise planner purchases.  I assume you have filed your claim with AON (the travel insurance through RC).  Unfortunately,  I don't think the flight cancellation is a covered reason to receive cash back for your cruise but not knowing what state you are from, I can't see your exact policy.  The best you are probably looking at is a 75% future cruise credit which is better than nothing.  

I think we've all learned several things about travel insurance recently due to other people. Many travel insurance companies won't cover some basics that we all assumed were covered as they all have ways to not pay.   Here is a recent experience from the blog  

 

I'll add my own experience, too:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Baked Alaska  I am so glad that everything worked out for you but from what I read, most of the insurance companies, even without Cancel for Any Reason, would have covered a medical condition.  Most policies require a note from the doctor stating you can't travel and the policy covers the entire party.

I think the ambiguity comes in with flight cancellations.  Is it considered Trip Interruption, a Trip Delay or something else?  Does your insurance expect you to get to the first port?  I recently learned that mine does and I can only get my money back for the cruise portion if I miss 50% of the cruise (I've been on the phone asking those questions).  Even with CFAR insurance, my insurance states that I need to cancel at least 48 hours prior to my trip so CFAR wouldn't cover any flight delays.  There is too much fine print and insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay a claim!  I don't really know what the right company is for me now but I'm using this company for all my already booked cruises.  I plan on looking around for something else to see if there are different options.  Outside a medical condition, I'm realizing that a flight cancellation is the most likely scenario for me and I want decent coverage for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, melski94 said:

@Baked Alaska  I am so glad that everything worked out for you but from what I read, most of the insurance companies, even without Cancel for Any Reason, would have covered a medical condition.  Most policies require a note from the doctor stating you can't travel and the policy covers the entire party.

I think the ambiguity comes in with flight cancellations.  Is it considered Trip Interruption, a Trip Delay or something else?  Does your insurance expect you to get to the first port?  I recently learned that mine does and I can only get my money back for the cruise portion if I miss 50% of the cruise (I've been on the phone asking those questions).  Even with CFAR insurance, my insurance states that I need to cancel at least 48 hours prior to my trip so CFAR wouldn't cover any flight delays.  There is too much fine print and insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay a claim!  I don't really know what the right company is for me now but I'm using this company for all my already booked cruises.  I plan on looking around for something else to see if there are different options.  Outside a medical condition, I'm realizing that a flight cancellation is the most likely scenario for me and I want decent coverage for that.

 

Medical coverage covered on most? NO WAY! You've got to make sure it is included and the coverage is adequate for your needs. Never ever assume its included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...