From Fort Lauderdale Airport to Port of Miami

SLJ

If you have lots of time and patience the Tri-Rail train costs $3.75 to go from FLL airport to MIA airport.  From there Uber or Lyft is even cheaper to the port.   

I routinely fly into FLL because it's cheaper.

In this live blog I took the Royal transfer from FLL to Port Miami:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/8865-empress-73018-5-nights-inc-cuba/&do=findComment&comment=79116

On this occasion I took the Tri Rail:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/11517-south-florida-tri-rail-ft-lauderdale-miami

There are other options as well, such as a car or van service.  If flights are cheaper they can still save money in the bigger picture. 

5 minutes ago, SLJ said:

Thanks everyone! Is there free wifi in FLL Airport?  We're from Canada and will not have data plan in the States. Not sure how we can order Uber after we land. So maybe taxi is easier? 

Yes but the wifi is not great and I doubt it extends outside.  Uber/Lyft are really meant to be used with a data connection.

@Lovetocruise2002 may have some experience with this as a fellow Canuck.

11 minutes ago, SLJ said:

Thanks everyone! Is there free wifi in FLL Airport?  We're from Canada and will not have data plan in the States. Not sure how we can order Uber after we land. So maybe taxi is easier? 

There is free wifi but it is unreliable. The ride share waiting area at FLL is between terminals. Once you step outside of the terminal, the wifi goes.

We use Telus Easy Roam. I pay a $7 flat rate per 24hr period and use my own data and minutes from my existing monthly plan. This only gets activated when I put my phone into data roaming mode. Perhaps look into a package like this with your carrier. 

If not then a cab is your best bet. However, I have not had any good experiences with FLL cab drivers. That is why we switched to Lyft in the first place. There is a site called ride guru which allows you to compare fares between all the ride share and cab options. I find that helpful.

Royal charged me $60 for a two way transfer from/to FLL-Port Miami for my cruise on Allure last week.

There was no indication that this transfer was even available on my cruise planner, the royal app, or the royal website; I had to call in to request it.

Yes, there is free public wifi at FLL.

12 hours ago, SLJ said:

We're from Canada and will not have data plan in the States

I use Roam Mobility for my US phone/data plan.  It's about $5.xx a day.  Gives you 500mb data per day purchased, unlimited US/CAN calling/text.  I believe they use mostly T-Mobile network.

You can purchase the SIM card at Petro Canada.  Your cellphone must be unlocked.  My personal phone is dual-SIM so it's very convenient to just switch from my carrier to Roam Mobility.