Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Worth it?


Angelicious
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is the Key worth the $$? I would have to buy two packages, one for me, one for my son. I think it was priced at around $280. I don’t know how much we’ll use the internet (I’m big on unplugging for vacation), but the priority seating , private hours for onboard activities and port of call debarkation is very tempting! Feedback?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I very much am in the area of it not being worth it. The only thing I would actually use of the benefits is the reserved seating and internet. We don’t use any of the activity type things. So 280 for two people to use internet, when we can share internet for 130 instead, isn’t worth it for me. Some people will however pay whatever to get priority boarding or reserved seating so they don’t have to wait in line. For me personally that’s not worth the extra money. If it was half the price, then I would consider it. But not for 280. That’s quite expensive for just skipping lines. But just my viewpoint.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angelicious said:

@Sh2738, good point.  Just wondering about the wait for the onboard activities as well. My son is a 12 year old daredevil, so he’s going to want to do it all!

Yes totally get it from that point. If you have younger than collage age children then yes this might make the money worth it if they would enjoy those types of activities. None of us kids in our family ever did any of them so I can’t relate, lol. But some kids do like them, so something to consider if that’s your situation. Good luck ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to the other perks you mentioned that caught your attention... For me, my wife and friends, we all planned on doing the lunch at Chops Grille anyway (and now Giovanni's Table/Jamie's Italian was added as an option... hmmm decisions, decisions), so this was another bonus for us... not dragging around our carry-on bags was another little bonus and we were getting at least one device w/ VOOM.

Just an FYI... looks like they finally updated the benefits of the Key online to include the Giovanni's/Jamie's lunch option and the entertainment reservation requirement:

 

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at a specialty dining venue. Choose between a Steakhouse (Chops Grille) or Italian (Giovanni’s Table or Jamie’s Italian depending on your ship). You can select your venue of choice once onboard. Seating is first come, first served from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. You must reserve your tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing or onboard the ship. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnK6404 said:

In addition to the other perks you mentioned that caught your attention... For me, my wife and friends, we all planned on doing the lunch at Chops Grille anyway (and now Giovanni's Table/Jamie's Italian was added as an option... hmmm decisions, decisions), so this was another bonus for us... not dragging around our carry-on bags was another little bonus and we were getting at least one device w/ VOOM.

Just an FYI... looks like they finally updated the benefits of the Key online to include the Giovanni's/Jamie's lunch option and the entertainment reservation requirement:

 

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at a specialty dining venue. Choose between a Steakhouse (Chops Grille) or Italian (Giovanni’s Table or Jamie’s Italian depending on your ship). You can select your venue of choice once onboard. Seating is first come, first served from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. You must reserve your tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing or onboard the ship. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

To me, it’s well worth the money! We only go on 1 big vacation a year ( I’m a single Mom) and I take that opportunity to absolutely spoil myself and my son! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Angelicious said:

To me, it’s well worth the money! We only go on 1 big vacation a year ( I’m a single Mom) and I take that opportunity to absolutely spoil myself and my son! 

Agreed! ? We too can only take one big vacation each year especially now since my wife had to change employers a couple of years ago and lost most of her vacation time due to the job change (went from almost 8 weeks to 3 weeks).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Agreed! ? We too can only take one big vacation each year especially now since my wife had to change employers a couple of years ago and lost most of her vacation time due to the job change (went from almost 8 weeks to 3 weeks).

Understandable! When I plan a vacation, I aim to make the trip as memorable as possible for us, and it's especially important for me to provide that for my son!Memories! It's all about the quality!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, JohnK6404 said:

In addition to the other perks you mentioned that caught your attention... For me, my wife and friends, we all planned on doing the lunch at Chops Grille anyway (and now Giovanni's Table/Jamie's Italian was added as an option... hmmm decisions, decisions), so this was another bonus for us... not dragging around our carry-on bags was another little bonus and we were getting at least one device w/ VOOM.

Just an FYI... looks like they finally updated the benefits of the Key online to include the Giovanni's/Jamie's lunch option and the entertainment reservation requirement:

 

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at a specialty dining venue. Choose between a Steakhouse (Chops Grille) or Italian (Giovanni’s Table or Jamie’s Italian depending on your ship). You can select your venue of choice once onboard. Seating is first come, first served from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. You must reserve your tickets in advance in the Entertainment section of Cruise Planner up to 72 hours before your sailing or onboard the ship. 
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

John, where did you find the addition of Jamie’s? We really want Jamie’s vs Chops for lunch and are weighing our odds (key already purchased) if we will get lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...