Royal room mix up=1st cruise disappointment

Booked Symphony of the Seas for 2019 back in January. Reserved a JS for me and hubby and a next door room for the kids. Received an email today that due to a Royal Glitch in system we were booked in wrong rooms and they need to change us. Basically the kids room only accommodates 2 people and I have 3 kids. I call only to be told that they are sorry and will get back to me with my options next Wednesday. Guy helping me couldn't find any alternate rooms for us. So not only does the room for kids not have the couch it said it did, one can't be brought in and they can't bring in a cot. My JS room that I was also told had a couch apparently does not and can only accommodate 2 people. Soo frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions I can make when they call me next week? I doubt they would upgrade us to a bigger room. Per Royal policy minors are under 21 and therefore must be next door or across from parents. As of now they couldn't find any rooms to accommodate us. Not sure what is going to happen but this definitely has put a bad taste in my mouth. Any help appreciated.....newbie cruiser here.    

I assume you booked directly with RC (and not with a travel agent)?  If so, I'd call back and ask to speak to the resolutions team/department.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the problem on their end (and it's on their end if they said there was a glitch in their system), then escalate it a few times.  Be civil, but firm about your insistence they remedy the situation more than it has.

And next time you book a cruise, use a travel agent so that in a situation like this, they can fight on your behalf. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I assume you booked directly with RC (and not with a travel agent)?  If so, I'd call back and ask to speak to the resolutions team/department.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the problem on their end (and it's on their end if they said there was a glitch in their system), then escalate it a few times.  Be civil, but firm about your insistence they remedy the situation more than it has.

And next time you book a cruise, use a travel agent so that in a situation like this, they can fight on your behalf. 

I second that.  To add to this, even if you did book with a TA, you can still call the resolutions department and argue your case.  Sometimes you are your best advocate for your cause.  Recently there was a mix up with one of my reservations and after my TA dealt with Royal a few times with no success, I still was not satisfied with the response.  I called myself and after 4 connections was finally able to get through to the resolutions department and they resolved my issue for me.  They key here is: do not take no/not possible for an answer (especially if they are in the wrong), and like @Matt said, be civil but remain firm in your position.

I'm really sorry to hear this.  It is difficult enough to find acceptable rooms when traveling with kids and it is even harder if RC messes up your reservation.  If you didn't book with a travel agent, I personally would do some research before getting on the phone again.  While it is RCs fault, you should have an acceptable solution in mind before you get on the phone.

You can look at Costco's travel website as they have a decent site to see available staterooms fairly quickly.  Also RCs UK website will list available staterooms.  I personally would look for staterooms that hold 3 first.  Also look at all options: balcony, suites, etc.  If you do have to go down to a balcony, I'd ask for quite a bit of OBC to make up for it.

Good luck and I hope you come back and let us know the result. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. Apparently yesterday it was over a 30 min wait to reach the Resolution Dept. The man helping me said he finally got a Supervisor on the line and she was going to investigate and get back to me. Sounded like they were uncertain about their system and giving out information until they researched it. What I want is for someone to be on Symphony right now who can check for me directly whether or not my room has a couch in it. I assumed from the website that all Junior Suites had couch beds. The tech said no...he also went on to state that all JS were sold out but it was clear he didn't want to keep talking to me as he stated he couldn't trust his system right now. I will keep everyone posted as to outcome. FYI the deck plans on Royal's site have conflicting info about the rooms. One shows couch and one shows not...Ugh. Here is the note from them.

Dear Guest,

We can't wait to welcome you onboard your upcoming Symphony of the Seas sailing on June 8, 2019. Before you begin planning, we have a quick update to share with you regarding the following booking:

We have been conducting an internal system update to our stateroom categories and noticed a small glitch in the system. Unfortunately, the occupancy for your original room was incorrectly described and it is actually meant to be a double occupancy room, not a triple occupancy room.

We are terribly sorry for this inconvenience and want you to know we are reaching out to you personally over the next few days to move you to a stateroom that fits your needs. Once we update our system by November 5th, 2018, you'll be able to view your new stateroom. Should you have any questions or concerns with these changes, we are here to assist. Please contact us at (888) 281-9344.

Thank you for your cooperation. See you soon for an amazing cruise vacation!

1 hour ago, crazyfamof5 said:

I assumed from the website that all Junior Suites had couch beds. The tech said no...

This is true.  At least from my past booking experience.  Not all junior suites can accommodate more than 2.  If I were you, I would stay firm and ask for someone who CAN help you.  After all, this is their mistake.