30% on-board credit for booking 3 specialty restaurant. HOW?

JohnASmith

• When you view the details each of the specialty restaurants show this:

Make 3 reservations at any of our specialty restaurants and receive a 20% onboard credit† with our dining package.

Receive a 20% onboard credit† on all Day 1 reservations.

How does that become 30%?  I see the â€  but I can't find its reference. Here are the details on the page bottom.

Online Dining reservations for your sailing will be available up until 2015-05-19 11:59 PM EST. If you are within the cut-off time, you will need to make reservations onboard.

* Prices are per person unless otherwise noted and shown in USD. All selections are subject to change. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.

Dining package discount is applicable to all pre-cruise specialty dining reservations. Onboard credit is applied on Day 1 of the cruise and is given to the primary person on the cruise booking. Onboard credit applies only to food purchases (cover charge or a la carte) and is not combinable with any other offer. Specialty Restaurant reservations must be purchased in the same currency as your cruise ticket purchase. Exchange rates are determined by a competitive pricing program and may be subject to change without notice. All monetary exchanges processed onboard are paid out in U.S. Dollars directly to your SeaPass account unless otherwise specified.

I just checked Cruise Planner for my upcoming reservation, and it does say "Get up to 30% onboard credit...", the key being "up to".

I'd like to say that I'm surprised that they're not providing the details of this onboard credit promotion, but the truth is that things like this don't really surprise me any longer.

It's applied automatically. On my Quantum cruise I got it by accident.

When I boarded Quantum I had an OBC that didn't seem familiar (like $26 or something along those lines) so I went to Guest Services and they told me it was because I booked 3 specialty restaurants in advance.

If you are flexible and don't mind possibly missing the opportunity to dine at a specific restaurant, you may want to wait and book onboard when they are trying to fill the restaurants.  We've never done the uncharge dining, but since our TA gave us an OBC we dined at Chops last week on Jewel and liked it - a lot.  The next morning a staffer was going through the Windjammer at breakfast announcing a promo for Portofino's that evening - $18/pp and I think it was $8 for the kids.  We gave it a shot - and LOVED IT (and this is coming from a guy that didn't like Italian food!).  So it might be worthwhile to wait and see what opportunities come your way while onboard.

If you are flexible and don't mind possibly missing the opportunity to dine at a specific restaurant, you may want to wait and book onboard when they are trying to fill the restaurants.  We've never done the uncharge dining, but since our TA gave us an OBC we dined at Chops last week on Jewel and liked it - a lot.  The next morning a staffer was going through the Windjammer at breakfast announcing a promo for Portofino's that evening - $18/pp and I think it was $8 for the kids.  We gave it a shot - and LOVED IT (and this is coming from a guy that didn't like Italian food!).  So it might be worthwhile to wait and see what opportunities come your way while onboard.

Good point.  There's also usually some deals on the specialty restaurants for the first and second night of some cruises.  

The takeaway I always bring up with specialty restaurants is they rarely fill up to the point you cannot walk in and get a table. If you're a group of 4 or less, I've never had trouble getting day-of reservations or even walking in and asking for availability.  They are always looking to get more business!

I'm pretty sure it's always $8 for kids under 12 as that's what was advertised via email from RCI before I cruised on the Jewel. That's a steal for kids as the menu is based on the adult menu. My son was super thrilled with his shimp cocktail from Chops.

Matt, The only exception I had was when I was on Allure last year. Chops and Giovanni's was booked solid every night and it was good we had reservations. I tried to get a table for 4 at chops for a 2nd time since I love it so much but they were booked solid. So I think on Oasis class ships sometimes going day of is more difficult.

Matt, The only exception I had was when I was on Allure last year. Chops and Giovanni's was booked solid every night and it was good we had reservations. I tried to get a table for 4 at chops for a 2nd time since I love it so much but they were booked solid. So I think on Oasis class ships sometimes going day of is more difficult.

Interesting.  I've seen restaurants like Chops busy but never really thought I wouldn't have gotten a table if I didn't have a reservation.  That being said, I always recommend making a reservation....why not, right?

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had the experience where they honored the discounted PP fee, even though I had prior reservations.  I am sure that isn't something they advertise or maybe isn't even common, but I was always taght to ask and this time it paid off.