Changes in Past Year?

My last RCCL cruise was May 2017 which was just over a year ago.  When checking in online today for my August cruise, I noticed a few changes.  Now RCCL wants you to submit a photo online "to avoid delays in the boarding process."  What happens if I don't and just show up as usual to get my photo taken there?  I mean, as I recall, it takes like 30 seconds, tops.  I really don't want to take a head shot, get my hubby to sit still for one, upload them to my computer, log into the RCCL website to attach them and all that jazz.  It''s too much hassle.  Surely it's not that big of a deal is it?

And, they also said your cruise card would be waiting for you outside your room?  I assume that's not the case if I don't submit a photo - and they'll just create it and hand it to me at check-in like they always did in the past.

The photo isn't a big deal, hardly slows you down if you do it at check in.

Outside of your cabin will be one Seapass card.  Additional ones for guests 2+ will be inside your cabin.  Note not all ships have implemented this yet.  Certain ships have done it this way for a while now.  More ships are converting to it. Eventually all will.

Royal is trying to streamline the check in process, further refinements in the near future will allow most everything in the app on your phone.  Part of that is shifting the Seapass distribution from the shore folks (who are typically a 3rd party) to having the ship create the cards and distribute them.  Quantum class and Harmony have been like this for a while with other ships adopting this process this year and next year.

Since cabins are not always ready when you board, your SetSail pass will have a barcode that is used to scan onto the ship upon boarding and to make any purchases such as drinks until cabins are ready and you get your official SeaPass cards.

I took pics of myself & 2 DD's & uploaded them.  DH scanned his new passport photo in & uploaded. During check in, ours were fine, his had to be re-taken ?. No biggie if you don't do it ahead. If you do, remember -- head shot only, no distracting background or other people in the shot, no hats/head coverings or sunglasses (basically, what your passport photo requirements are)

On our last cruise on Allure, we had submitted the pix ahead of time but they re-took them anyway.  I guess they didn't like the ones we submitted even though we had used these same pix before.  Whatever.  It doesn't take much time to have your picture taken.  Don't mess with it if you don't want to.