PAUL rOGER

Required Evening Attire

I think I may be the “guy” to whom GlennGlenn is referring.  BTW I am a 62 year old grandmother of 4.  I maintain that my clothing selection should be decent enough to let me eat in the dining room with the grownups.  I promise to use my napkin not my sleeve and to chew with my mouth closed.

And I cannot begin to tell you how much I resent your incredibly snotty comment that people who don’t live up to your dress code “should be at the corner bar spending their paycheck”.  Just the type of elitist attitude found on the Titantic!  

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I think I may be the “guy” to whom GlennGlenn is referring.  BTW I am a 62 year old grandmother of 4.  I maintain that my clothing selection should be decent enough to let me eat in the dining room with the grownups.  I promise to use my napkin not my sleeve and to chew with my mouth closed.

And I cannot begin to tell you how much I resent your incredibly snotty comment that people who don’t live up to your dress code “should be at the corner bar spending their paycheck”.  Just the type of elitist attitude found on the Titantic!  

Well said Pooch, I do dress appropriately on formal nights however it’s peoples vacation and I’m not going to judge or let others ruin my vacation. I’ll let him be miserable from his high horse. 

41 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Well said Pooch

Not really.  First, this is not the first time that she has assumed someone is talking about her and then puts forward her age and the number of grandkids.  Apparently she feels that living and procreating commands respect.  It does not.  Second, she gets incredibly defensive about things and her whole "won't wipe my mouth on my sleeve" thing is a sad attempt at putting words in other's mouths.  Her entire argument is "I'm on vacation, I'll do what I want!" which is hardly what I would consider a reasoned response to anything.

Then she says something about the Titanic, which is straight out of nowhere.  Especially considering how hard she has been making sure everyone knows that she is sailing in a GRAND SUITE!!!, so in a discussion about the Titanic she would be the elitist in question.  "Well said" is about the last thing I would associate with that post.

Also Ogalthorpe, you might not have noticed but there is a lot of segregation on a cruise ship.  There are suite-only lounges.  There are loyalty based lounges.  This is nothing new.  Attempting to compare a dress code with racial segregation is quite a stretch.

I never said I am on vacation, I’ll do what I want.  Nor am I in any way “flaunting” staying in a GS.  I did say I would not attend formal night in the MDR as we don’t care to get dressed up and that should be expected THAT night.  However, on the other nights as long as I am neat, clean and presentable, that should be enough to gain access to the dining room.  

And I dislike people trying to belittle others with comments like the corner bar reference.  

14 hours ago, JLMoran said:

As I said before, we were the 8 PM traditional dining slot; maybe it's a function of being in that, with waiters who are assigned a smaller number of tables, and a smaller general number of diners at that hour, that made our experience so much better.

I do wonder if that has something to do with it ... its my understanding that the later traditional dining slot is the "least busy" so perhaps the service level picks up more at that point .. or perhaps I just have had a run of bad luck on servers :)

Like I said I do definitely think that there is a lot of variability, BCarney and I were both on the same cruise together a couple of Thanksgivings back but you wouldn't know it from the experiences we had, in fact if we hadn't run into each other a few times I would have sworn we were on different ships.

10 hours ago, NS8VN said:

Not really.  First, this is not the first time that she has assumed someone is talking about her and then puts forward her age and the number of grandkids.  Apparently she feels that living and procreating commands respect.  It does not.  Second, she gets incredibly defensive about things and her whole "won't wipe my mouth on my sleeve" thing is a sad attempt at putting words in other's mouths.  Her entire argument is "I'm on vacation, I'll do what I want!" which is hardly what I would consider a reasoned response to anything.

Then she says something about the Titanic, which is straight out of nowhere.  Especially considering how hard she has been making sure everyone knows that she is sailing in a GRAND SUITE!!!, so in a discussion about the Titanic she would be the elitist in question.  "Well said" is about the last thing I would associate with that post.

Also Ogalthorpe, you might not have noticed but there is a lot of segregation on a cruise ship.  There are suite-only lounges.  There are loyalty based lounges.  This is nothing new.  Attempting to compare a dress code with racial segregation is quite a stretch.

Wishing to separate people based on clothing or appearance is an attempt at segregation. The special lounges have been earned or paid for, so those are entitled benefits. The MDR is included in the normal fare of the cruise therefore open to everyone.

for those who wish to see dress code improved a simple suggestion would be to start a campaign and contact RC direct with it. 

There's no point posting on here as it won't change anything and as has been witnessed it ends up with derogatory comments being made about class, status and upbringing etc.

As stated previously it's RC who make the rules there for if anyone has issues they should bring it up with them because until such time as RC changes it's policy people are entitled to wear what they want and shouldn't be seen as lower class not fit to enter MDR 

I am one of those who dislikes the steady decline in the level of attire considered acceptable in the MDR. I don't begrudge the "I'm on vacation so I don't want to dress up" crowd the right to be comfortable at dinner, but the wearing of jeans (even "nice" jeans are still VERY casual to me) or worse on the more formal nights continues to bother me.

The "issue" is that the so-called "formal" nights are only a SUGGESTED dinner attire - there is no formal requirement. If something is only suggested and not required, each individual has the right to do as they please.

I agree that for a meal labeled "formal night", jeans, dockers, any type of casual wear is not appropriate.  Its called formal night for a reason.  But at my age (remember me? Old? Grandkids? that I apparently mention too often) I realize I can't control other people's actions, only my own actions and reactions.   If people are going to show up dressed informally, nothing I can do about it.   I also would prefer women not wear woven dental floss as a swimsuit in public but they don't ask me!!

On 4/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, PAUL rOGER said:

Anyway I am old school and if people want to dress casual and sloppy, that's up to them.

Casual and sloppy are not always the same thing. I can dress in brand new $60 shorts and a $50 polo and I assure you I am not sloppy, but I am casual. On the flip side, I see plenty of people around (even at work) with messy slacks and dress shirts, and while they're not dressed casual, they're sloppy as hell.

33 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Casual and sloppy are not always the same thing. I can dress in brand new $60 shorts and a $50 polo and I assure you I am not sloppy, but I am casual. On the flip side, I see plenty of people around (even at work) with messy slacks and dress shirts, and while they're not dressed casual, they're sloppy as hell.

Agreed

No matter where you go you will see woman squeezing into a dress that's to small for them which leaves very little to the imagination ( not that you want to imagine lol ) or men wearing trousers 2 sizes to big and held up with a belt to save embarrassment. 

However in the eyes of some they are ok as they are wearing formal wear. Yet as you rightly point out someone could be wearing a nice pair of designer shorts with a polo or shirt and are looked down on, as I stated previously it's not what you wear but how you wear it. 

47 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I agree that for a meal labeled "formal night", jeans, dockers, any type of casual wear is not appropriate.  Its called formal night for a reason.  But at my age (remember me? Old? Grandkids? that I apparently mention too often) I realize I can't control other people's actions, only my own actions and reactions.   If people are going to show up dressed informally, nothing I can do about it.   I also would prefer women not wear woven dental floss as a swimsuit in public but they don't ask me!!

Could be worse could be a man wearing the dental floss lol

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Could be worse could be a man wearing the dental floss lol 

Depending on your view, you want to or you may not want to, go to Fremont Street in Las Vegas, there is usually a guy in an lime green G-String pan handling, he is wearing a really nice Cowboy hat though, I have heard he frequents Times Square also...

I blame Carnival and their race to the bottom VIA ultra low fares.  Actually all the cruise lines share blame in this one. 

More and more ships sailing means more and more guests needed.  Many people just don't want to dress up on vacation and not in the heat and humidity of the Caribbean especially.  In order to fill all those ships they have to avoid alienating any one.  The result is... no intention to enforce a policy that will drive some guests to other ships like Carnival and NCL who markets their experience as totally not formal.  

Personally I don't notice things like what shoes a woman is wearing, what suit a guy has on, what kind of pants a kid is wearing.  I would make a lousy detective - totally not observant at all.

6 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Depending on your view, you want to or you may not want to, go to Fremont Street in Las Vegas, there is usually a guy in an lime green G-String pan handling, he is wearing a really nice Cowboy hat though, I have heard he frequents Times Square also...

Saw the Naked Coyboy while in NYC, must say Times Sq  IS a strange place, going back in Nov after cruise but Times Sq will be avoided, i just didnt like it

Just now, Ray said:

Saw the Naked Coyboy while in NYC, must say Times Sq  IS a strange place, going back in Nov after cruise but Times Sq will be avoided, i just didnt like it

The Vegas strip is much the same.  Lot's of 'interesting' things to see.  And don't accept the little cards they are trying to hand to you, just keep walking...

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've never met one person who really, truly likes Times Square.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Vegas strip is much the same.  Lot's of 'interesting' things to see.  And don't accept the little cards they are trying to hand to you, just keep walking...

The good thing about coming from the north east of scotland is even if someone hears me talking english and approach, i can just switch to the local lingo and they wont understand, i once stood asking a guy what he was saying and how much he wanted ( but in my own laungage mixed with english just to confuse more lol ) for 2 - 3 mins before he got fed up and left because he hadnt a clue what i was saying lol 

46 minutes ago, Ray said:

The good thing about coming from the north east of scotland is even if someone hears me talking english and approach, i can just switch to the local lingo and they wont understand, i once stood asking a guy what he was saying and how much he wanted ( but in my own laungage mixed with english just to confuse more lol ) for 2 - 3 mins before he got fed up and left because he hadnt a clue what i was saying lol 

That would have been hilarious to watch, of course I had a shop keeper in Barcelona do the same thing to me in Spanish, he knew what Banos was, he just didn't want to help me, lol

@Ray, I guess we successfully hijacked this thread...