Room Assignments and a few other Questions

The wifey talked me into taking our family on the Anthem of the Seas.  My only experience cruising was on a Carnival so I am fairly confident this cruise will be much more enjoyable.  

1st Question:  We booked 2 rooms for our family of 4 with 2 teens, 16 and 19 year olds.  I was required to book wifey with one teen and me with the other teen.  I tried to book both teens in the same room but they wouldn't allow that during the online booking process. Our plan after checking in on the ship is to just switch rooms so mom and dad can be in the same room and the teens can be in the room next to ours.  I am not anticipating this being a problem for the staff, I just don't think they will care but  has anyone else done this before?  Will staff members have a problem with this?

2nd Question:  My kids will love the Ripcord.  If I book 4 slots for our family of 4, will staff allow me to let one of my kids take my place?  In other words, let my kid take his slot and my slot-2 turns.   

1 minute ago, David Maryland said:

Is it possible to have key cards that open both rooms for each of us?

On other ships sometimes this is handled by creating a extra card.  I'm not sure how Anthem handles this specifically.  Hopefully other with direct experience can respond.  

19 minutes ago, David Maryland said:

The wifey talked me into taking our family on the Anthem of the Seas.  My only experience cruising was on a Carnival so I am fairly confident this cruise will be much more enjoyable.  

1st Question:  We booked 2 rooms for our family of 4 with 2 teens, 16 and 19 year olds.  I was required to book wifey with one teen and me with the other teen.  I tried to book both teens in the same room but they wouldn't allow that during the online booking process. Our plan after checking in on the ship is to just switch rooms so mom and dad can be in the same room and the teens can be in the room next to ours.  I am not anticipating this being a problem for the staff, I just don't think they will care but  has anyone else done this before?  Will staff members have a problem with this?

2nd Question:  My kids will love the Ripcord.  If I book 4 slots for our family of 4, will staff allow me to let one of my kids take my place?  In other words, let my kid take his slot and my slot-2 turns.   

I sailed on Quantum (sister ship to Anthem) with my two teens in one room and the two of us in the connecting room.  They were 15 & 17 at the time and Royal had no problem with it.  But I think you have to do it over the phone as the website won't allow it.  Our travel agent handled the whole thing.  We were all four of us on one room, and Royal asked the TA if we'd be willing (at no additional cost) to switch to two connecting balconies.  They just put the kids into the other room.

We didn't need extra keys as the connecting door was always open, but yes you can get an extra key - it will actually say "extra key" on the bottom of the seapass and won't be valid for charging. 

4 minutes ago, KathyC said:

I sailed on Quantum (sister ship to Anthem) with my two teens in one room and the two of us in the connecting room.  They were 15 & 17 at the time and Royal had no problem with it.  But I think you have to do it over the phone as the website won't allow it.  Our travel agent handled the whole thing.  We were all four of us on one room, and Royal asked the TA if we'd be willing (at no additional cost) to switch to two connecting balconies.  They just put the kids into the other room.

We didn't need extra keys as the connecting door was always open, but yes you can get an extra key - it will actually say "extra key" on the bottom of the seapass and won't be valid for charging. 

Thank you, sounds like I need to call RC and get the room assignments changed in advance.

If you call RC, they will book the teens in their own room if it is connecting (door in middle of room), adjoining (right next to your room) or directly across from your room.  If you booked within the last 60 days you can transfer your reservation to a TA and let them deal with it.  Mei travel is a sponsor of the blog.

You can get an extra key if the above doesn’t work out. 

1 hour ago, David Maryland said:

Thank you, sounds like I need to call RC and get the room assignments changed in advance.

I will echo what @melski94 has already said. We're sailing Anthem in a few days and we initially booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for hubby and I and our 2 girls (ages 9,11). The RC rep that I initially booked with allowed both kids to be booked in the same cabin. I was surprised as it was always my understanding that one guest had to be over 21. The rep explained to me that because the rooms are connecting they allow it.

The only hiccup I foresee with your setup is that because you already booked it, if you swap it now they might charge you the change fee if you booked with a non-refundable deposit. I am not 100% sure on this but because you have to take a guest off the reservation they might consider this a "cancellation". If that is case then it's best to just leave it and go to guest services on the first day and get extra key cards.  IIRC @Matt has said before that this is not a problem.

11 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I will echo what @melski94 has already said. We're sailing Anthem in a few days and we initially booked 2 connecting balcony cabins for hubby and I and our 2 girls (ages 9,11). The RC rep that I initially booked with allowed both kids to be booked in the same cabin. I was surprised as it was always my understanding that one guest had to be over 21. The rep explained to me that because the rooms are connecting they allow it.

The only hiccup I foresee with your setup is that because you already booked it, if you swap it now they might charge you the change fee if you booked with a non-refundable deposit. I am not 100% sure on this but because you have to take a guest off the reservation they might consider this a "cancellation". If that is case then it's best to just leave it and go to guest services on the first day and get extra key cards.  IIRC @Matt has said before that this is not a problem.

Our rooms are not connected with a through door but they are next to each other.  I am fine with having  extra keys, I want all 4 family members to be able to enter both rooms.  I was just worried that RC would have a problem with us switching rooms once on board but it sounds like that is not a problem. At this point, we will just move our own luggage and get the extra keys and not involve RC with any "official" changes.

22 hours ago, David Maryland said:

Our rooms are not connected with a through door but they are next to each other.  I am fine with having  extra keys, I want all 4 family members to be able to enter both rooms.  I was just worried that RC would have a problem with us switching rooms once on board but it sounds like that is not a problem. At this point, we will just move our own luggage and get the extra keys and not involve RC with any "official" changes.

Nah, they won't really care at all.