Labadee wifi

Whtpup

I've often wondered why they don't extend wifi coverage to Labadee. 

On my last visit I noted that Freedom had an ethernet connection to the pier and in that splice box on the pier there was fiber that ran down the pier to something.     It wouldn't take much to extend the ship wifi to cover that small space.  Literally a handful of outdoor APs.  Outdoor wifi and mesh networking is part of what I do for a living.  Pretty easy, just would need to deal with two ships in port but even that isn't a deal breaker.

1 hour ago, PRC said:

If connectivity is a must-have, 3G cellular coverage is good, so a Digicel SIM card may fill your needs.

The issue is getting a Digicel SIM Card for Haiti.  No stores nearby, and as I've learned, you cannot use another Digicel sim card interchangeably.

21 hours ago, twangster said:

On my last visit I noted that Freedom had an ethernet connection to the pier and in that splice box on the pier there was fiber that ran down the pier to something.     It wouldn't take much to extend the ship wifi to cover that small space.  Literally a handful of outdoor APs.  Outdoor wifi and mesh networking is part of what I do for a living.  Pretty easy, just would need to deal with two ships in port but even that isn't a deal breaker.

To share the ship's satellite connection with the shore?  It seems like it would make more sense for that to work the other way around--connecting the ship to the island's service provider--whatever they're using.  Labadee's communications can't go completely dark when they don't happen to have a ship in port, so they have to have their own independent communications infrastructure regardless.  Haiti's infrastructure is pretty rough, so I have no idea if a hard line is even available or if it's all on satellite.

As for extending whatever they have out for guest use, well, it would take more than just a few APs.  It has to have enough bandwidth and capacity for guests from multiple ships at once, that's not a negligible expense.  Royal *could* spring for it, but how much more revenue will that get them?  I can't imagine many people who bough wifi packages on the ship are going to pay more for a few hours on land, so Royal's either gotta give it away or realize only a tiny number of guests would be willing to pay more.  It might have a small effect on the number of people who buy wifi packages or overall guest satisfaction, but it's tricky to tie that back to the cost of deployment.  I would not be surprised if Royal already ran those numbers and determined it wouldn't be worthwhile.

7 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

To share the ship's satellite connection with the shore?  It seems like it would make more sense for that to work the other way around--connecting the ship to the island's service provider--whatever they're using.  Labadee's communications can't go completely dark when they don't happen to have a ship in port, so they have to have their own independent communications infrastructure regardless.  Haiti's infrastructure is pretty rough, so I have no idea if a hard line is even available or if it's all on satellite.

As for extending whatever they have out for guest use, well, it would take more than just a few APs.  It has to have enough bandwidth and capacity for guests from multiple ships at once, that's not a negligible expense.  Royal *could* spring for it, but how much more revenue will that get them?  I can't imagine many people who bough wifi packages on the ship are going to pay more for a few hours on land, so Royal's either gotta give it away or realize only a tiny number of guests would be willing to pay more.  It might have a small effect on the number of people who buy wifi packages or overall guest satisfaction, but it's tricky to tie that back to the cost of deployment.  I would not be surprised if Royal already ran those numbers and determined it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Yet that's contrary to their "be connected, share your vacation experience as it happens" philosophy.   RCI benefits from social media in a very big way.  They want people sharing it live.   

There is a cell tower in the village of Labadee.  My phone works fine there.  Same with Coco Cay.   However most people don't have that luxury.