Royal Caribbean Blog

Independence 12/21/17 9 Night Christmas

Day 9 Photo Tour

Indy is very similar to Freedom.  So much so that I could borrow many photos from my live blog on Freedom and use them here.  Instead of posting more of the same, I'll post some different shots of Indy.

Vintages is more open to the Promenade compared to Freedom or maybe it just feels that way. 

The pub is similar.

Even though she is soon heading into a dry dock and refurbishment soon Indy is still quite pretty.

Boleros.

MacBeth dining room entrance.

The pool decks on the two ships is pretty much identical.

Olive or Twist bar and what used to be called the Viking Crown Lounge on deck 14 has great views.

The sports deck on Freedom and Indy are nearly identical.  That will change with water slides coming to Indy soon.

Independence Dunes will become the water slide area during dry dock.

The bellyflop contest is always a big hit.

The pool deck isn't normally this crowded.

The adult only solarium wasn't as busy.

The forward deck 12 area will receive new cabins during the dry dock.  This jogging track area forward of these stairs will become cabins and the jogging track diverted aft of the solarium area on deck 12.  St Tropez will become larger since it will be on roof of the new panorama cabins.  

This wood floor area within the Vitality Spa and gym area will be consumed for cabins as well.

Helipad access is open to the public like on other Freedom class ships, a feature I really enjoy. Who says I'm never in any photos - that's my shadow.

I always enjoy taking photos at night.

With that my cruise was nearly over.  Just time for a last drink from the Diamond lounge and to finish packing.  Luggage is appearing in the hallways and it's time to face the reality of the situation.  Tomorrow I disembark.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phew!  Packing nearly complete.  I've done quite well.  Only 43 bags. Two less than I took on Anthem!

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!!!! I woke early in my hotel and plotted how to kill some time.  I've decided to give @Matt a two-fer blog on this sailing.  Since the next Royal Caribbean Blog group cruise is

This is completely unacceptable.  We need to start a GoFundMe page immediately.  

Posted Images

Day X

I woke early and packed the few items left over after showering.  Cafe Promenade serves breakfast starting at 5:30am.  I lingered in my cabin killing time when I felt us turning and figured I might as well head down and get ready for self assist disembarking.  I was first in line at the aft doors to deck 4. 

We had entered Port Everglades, made our turn and had begun backing into terminal 29.  Foggy and cool this morning.  Harmony was shrouded in fog.   

At 7:12am they cleared the ship and we began to disembark (scheduled for 7:30am).  First through customs and into a cab ($15 before tip).  Through FLL airport security and in the Delta Skyclub by 7:36am.  Under 30 minutes.  Not bad.  New personal best time for Port Everglades.  :27_sunglasses:

Flight is at 10:45am so I'm killing time writing this.

Summary

This is my first Christmas cruise and I'm glad I did it. 

It was great to visit St. Maarten and San Juan again to contribute to the residents who rely so much on tourism. 

I met a lot of folks that I would often run into on excursions, at shows or at dinner. 

Last night the parents of the skater asked me to join them after the show and I met the skaters.  I had an old SD card with me that I copied all the skating photos full size onto and gave it to them.  The photos I had sent earlier were reduced dimensions and resolution to make them easy to send over Voom. 

A few minor items on Indy were the only indication she is due for a dry dock.  That in no way impacted my cruise.  I knew she was very close to going into dry dock when I booked her so no complaints.  

Service was great in all areas.  Friendly crew.  

I have been playing with different My Time dining times.  On my last cruise I was eating at 8:15pm.  On this cruise I did 6pm.  That gives me time to have a few Diamond drinks, take a glass of wine to dinner, eat, visit the lounge again and make the later shows with another Diamond drink.  In this manner I didn't need the drink package and don't think I'll buy one again when solo.  I don't drink enough to warrant a package by myself and with Diamond happy hour I'm set.  If I want an afternoon beer or frozen something I can always buy it and pay per drink.   I think I like 6pm dining better and I changed the My Time reservations for my next cruise to 6pm.  

The Diamond lounge is crazy busy at 5pm so I've learned to use one or two of three Diamond drinks loaded on my SeaPass before dinner at other bars like Vintages or the pub then I can visit the lounge later when it isn't as crowded.   

All in all a great cruise and I wouldn't hesitate to take another Christmas cruise if the circumstances warranted it.

29 minutes ago, rjac said:

So, how long will you be in dry dock until your next cruise, and which ship? Need to put that date on my calendar so I won't miss your blog! Safe travels and Happy New Year!:27_sunglasses:

With increased Voom pricing I'm rethinking how I make Voom purchases.  I may go without or wait and purchase mid cruise depending on itinerary.   (My cell plan includes data in the islands.)

I tend to take longer or B2B cruises so $160-$300+ for internet is getting too expensive for the reward.  A 12% price hike when you sail 4-6 cruises per year adds up.   This year almost $1k for ship internet.  

Also keep in mind only a handful of ships offer O3b Voom.  Most ships still use the old technology so that makes a 12% increase even less palatable.   

It was $11.99 for Surf and Stream on Symphony so I bought it for the Transatlantic.   If they cancel that and offer it higher I'll likely skip it. 

I can always do recap blogs like Alaska.  

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

With increased Voom pricing I'm rethinking how I make Voom purchases.  I may go without or wait and purchase mid cruise depending on itinerary.   (My cell plan includes data in the islands.)

Like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", didn't we hear that not too long ago?  lol 😜

41 minutes ago, twangster said:

It was $11.99 for Surf and Stream on Symphony so I bought it for the Transatlantic.   If they cancel that and offer it higher I'll likely skip it. 

Wait? What?  What do you mean if they cancel that??

Just now, Sabrinaklai said:

Like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", didn't we hear that not too long ago?  lol 😜

Wait? What?  What do you mean if they cancel that??

WOLF!

RC was recently busted canceling excursions sold at discounted prices stating it's no longer offered.  Only to offer the same excursion at a higher price 

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

WOLF!

RC was recently busted canceling excursions sold at discounted prices stating it's no longer offered.  Only to offer the same excursion at a higher price 

Oh yes that...I had a feeling that is what you were hinting at.  Just wanted to make sure.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Surf & Stream offered for $11.99 during the same month they raised prices for Voom.  I'm hoping they are trying to encourage social media on Symphony but it's equally possible it was a mistake and they might cancel it.  

Well let's all hope they don't for our sake.  You're on the TA, which means great first detailed look for all of us of the Symphony! 

Fabulous photos! We were also on this sailing and had a fantastic time! Even spotted our group swimming in one of your shots in St. Maarten. This was my first RC cruise and I can't wait to book my next. I sailed with 18 family members -- celebrating a Christmas birthday and my parent's 50th Anniversary. We met the husband of the couple that missed the ship in St. Kitts while on a catamaran excursion in Antigua. Before we departed the ship that day, the captain announced that he extended the all aboard time by an hour so they thought all aboard time was 5:30 instead of 4:30. They returned to the dock at 5:10 but the ship left at 4:55. They felt absolutely horrible -- the wife has a condition that doesn't allow her to fly and she uses a ventilator for part of the day. The captain absolutely made the right decision to return to get them.

I think I need a week to recover from all the fun. Just made it back to California yesterday and can't wait to go through my photos and finish my notes. Thanks for all your beautiful photos!

2 hours ago, Skigoofy said:

Fabulous photos! We were also on this sailing and had a fantastic time! Even spotted our group swimming in one of your shots in St. Maarten. This was my first RC cruise and I can't wait to book my next. I sailed with 18 family members -- celebrating a Christmas birthday and my parent's 50th Anniversary. We met the husband of the couple that missed the ship in St. Kitts while on a catamaran excursion in Antigua. Before we departed the ship that day, the captain announced that he extended the all aboard time by an hour so they thought all aboard time was 5:30 instead of 4:30. They returned to the dock at 5:10 but the ship left at 4:55. They felt absolutely horrible -- the wife has a condition that doesn't allow her to fly and she uses a ventilator for part of the day. The captain absolutely made the right decision to return to get them.

I think I need a week to recover from all the fun. Just made it back to California yesterday and can't wait to go through my photos and finish my notes. Thanks for all your beautiful photos!

Thanks for details on the St Kitts delay.   It was confusing with the Captain making the announcement upon arrival.  I was on a top deck later when the cruise director made the announcement adding be back on board at 4:30.   At that point hundreds had already disembarked.  

EDIT - just checked my Cruise Compass and it stated 4:30 back on board.  So with the Captain announcing he was giving us an extra hour in St. Kitts and extending our stay I'd go far as to suggest this was his fault.  

• 1 month later...