How do the dining packages work?

Jill

We've always made reservations for the specialty restaurants individually.  Thinking of doing either the 4 or 5 night package this time around.  How exactly does it work?

I know the first night they put you in one but what about after that?  Do I have to make actual reservations once on board at each individual location?  What if they don't have times available that coordinate with the shows we have booked? 

The savings are quite good going the package route.  Just don't want to be relegated to eating at 4:30 or 10:30!

It depends on what ship you are on, but the earliest you can book is either 5:30 or 6:00, I always book 5:30 because it takes about 1 and 1/2 hours to eat in a specialty restaurant, so if your show is at 7:30 you can make it.

I was able to book all of my specialty restaurants online when I was booking my Main Dining Room options.

Candie

Thanks Matt. I read the blog and just have one more question for anyone that has done this:

Did anyone have any issues trying to schedule their reservations to coincide with the shows they had booked?  That's my fear is that I won't be able to get a dinner reservation(s) that allows us time to get to our show(s).

Just now, Jill said:

Did anyone have any issues trying to schedule their reservations to coincide with the shows they had booked?  That's my fear is that I won't be able to get a dinner reservation(s) that allows us time to get to our show(s).

There is a "at a glance" entertainment sheet offered on day one usually.  As Guest Services if you don't see it.

We encountered this a bit, but found it easy enough to juggle dining reservations around if needed.  

Also, you can consult a previous Cruise Compass archive. In my experience, show times do not change much from sailing to sailing.

OK, I think we'll just go ahead and try it.  I booked it last night.  I'll already have all our shows booked prior, so if they can't accommodate easily, I'll  jump up and down and cause a scene! ;) This will be our third time on Oasis and the main dining room leaves little to be desired. By booking the package, it saves quite a bit, especially with 4 of us.

I had a calendar made on a spreadsheet with my show times and dates, when I boarded Allure in October of this year I went straight to a specialty restaurant and confirmed my first night and then made the remaining nights all at the same time, I had the ultimate package so I was doing all 7 nights. The only one the person could not make for me was Izumi and she called and got it made for me. Took me all of 10 minutes to get them lined out.

There is also usually a person on deck 5 at the Promenade and also a person in one of the main dinning rooms, they are all set up ready and waiting to help with your reservations.

I think as the week went on, I changed 1 dinner reservation and 1 show reservation to accommodate they way the cruise was going, I make plans for the week but also leave it open to change so I'm not stressing about being someplace at a specific time or day.

We have had the 5 night package twice on Allure and we had no problem getting reservations for the times we wanted.  The first time we used the package we were assigned Samba and we didn't want to go there the first night so we changed to Giovanni's and made arrangements for all the restaurants we wanted.  I also had a sheet with the show times we had booked, so I knew what times would work and what wouldn't.

The second time, I have no clue what restaurant was assigned as we wanted Chops and as soon as we were onboard we made our reservations and then made reservations for the next couple of nights.  We decided to wait to see which restaurants we really liked and go from there for the last two nights of our package.  My family wouldn't even try 150 Central Park so I have no idea regarding that restaurant.  We ended up eating at Chops three times as we loved our waiter and he turned us on to the rib eye the second night there.  

This next time we again have the five night package, so we will see if we end up at Giovanni's twice and Chops three times and then we also have one dinner from our travel agent, so that will probably be Samba, but not sure at this point.